We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Dive Bars

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
WA
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Favorite Dive Bars

Any suggestions? a few years ago i took off from the Market and found a bar with dirt floors and chickens running around. This is my kind of place. Does anyone have any favorites?

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,500 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Dive Bars

For your own safety I would not recommend you going to those type bars in Mazatlan...especially if you do not speak the language.

WA
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Dive Bars

ok. 1 question though. why?

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
956 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Dive Bars

No chickens (that I have ever seen!) but--- Dunia's, Golden Anchor, La Tertulia, Edgar's.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Dive Bars

Bodie Kellogg writes about his Cantina experiences in M Magazine quite often. They are filled with humor.

There are several articles which are available using the search feature on M. Enter Cantina or Cantina Crawl.

Here are a couple of samples.

maz-amor.com/lifestyle-55/buscadero/480-cant…

maz-amor.com/lifestyle-55/buscadero/714-cant…

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Dive Bars

In this linked article, Bodie Kellogg writes about roosters in a place called Gallitos.

maz-amor.com/lifestyle-55/buscadero/129-cant…

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
198 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Dive Bars

Great topic CJW123 that sounds like the kinda of bar I'd get a real kick out of.

I wish mazexp would clarify because I cant see it being unsafe. The locals have always been outgoing and extremely nice. Yes alcohol makes some people rude and in a fighting mood but thats no different then the same locals drinking at Frogs or Oysters. Besides everyone knows that harming a tourist is extremely bad for mazatlan and will not be tolerated by anyone in Mazatlan.

Thanks Bob M. for the great links.

Edited: 12:39 pm, February 08, 2013
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Dive Bars

I am trying to figure out which town you might have been in to find a bar with dirt floors? "i took off from the Market and found a bar with dirt floors and chickens running around." From the central market here in Mazatlan you would have to travel several miles to find such a place. Unless you went to Stone Island or Playa Norte where they have restaurant/bars on the SAND. But a bar in Mazatlan with dirt floors? There are some pretty funky places here in Centro, but none with dirt floors.

WA
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Dive Bars

Falconroger, couldnt have been several miles. I walk fast but not that fast! And i might have had a few beers but i know i wasnt on stone island! I will try to find it in March

washington
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite Dive Bars

My favorite dive , cantina is The Oly ! From the N.E. corner of the Cathedral in Centro,walk east passed all the shoe shine stands,go 3 blocks, it's on the corner. From there, go 1 block north, and you find Edgar's , my personal favorite place to drink , in Centro ! A lot of ex-pat's , who live in Centro, hang out there ! That's where you can hear, all the latest of what's happening, and changing in Mazatlan . Both are safe,been going to these place's for years ! Edgar's has a lot of old photo's of Mazatlan . AND, if anyone has been to a bigger dive , than THE OLY ! ,post it. -------Enjoy !

10. Re: Favorite Dive Bars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 11, 2014