We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wine in restuarants

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
wine in restuarants

Do restuarants in Mazatlan allow you to bring your own bottle of wine in and is there a corkage fee.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wine in restuarants

Las Brochetas does allow bottles of wine, and their food was excellent! I look forward to eating there again in February.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wine in restuarants

I would ask the head waiter ahead of time about the policy, just to avoid misunderstandings or hard feelings (which has been known to happen). The corkage fees and policies can vary, especially in restaurants that sell wine, If you have a special bottle for an occasion, you should tell them that. . If you are bringing in a lower priced wine instead of buying theirs, be prepared for a higher corkage fee. This is an area where they make what little profit there is to be made these days. :-)

Some smaller eateries don't sell wine, or may not even have a liquor license, so I would still inquire first to make sure it's okay. Liquor inspectors can be harsh. Hope this helps.

Edited: 11:50 am, January 10, 2013
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: wine in restuarants

Mazatlan restaurants not only have a reputation for great food kalgoo, but also for wonderful hospitality. It's hard to imagine many (if any) establishments in the main tourist areas ruling out your bringing your own wine. We've seen that occur several times, and always bring our own bottled water.

You should probably inquire at your hotel or resort concierge or front desk about specific restaurants. If they don't know they can call in advance for you.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wine in restuarants

Right, I was not meaning to imply that they would be refused, only that it's best to clarify the policy and charge ahead of time to make it sure is suits everyone. Just trying to help avoid a possible awkward situation, because we have also seen it happen, where people have brought in a bottle of wine, and then freaked out when a per person corkage fee was applied. Salud!

Edited: 1:19 pm, January 10, 2013
Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: wine in restuarants

Mazzi is right, but I wouldn't worry about it, the restaurants that DO have corkage charges, the corkage charges a pretty low. Lived here 16 years, and gone to many, many restaurants without liquor licences, and not one single time has there been any problem (or even extra charge!). Once, when I didn't know the restaurant didn't have a liquor licence, they even offered to send someone down the street a block to buy some beer for me.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wine in restuarants

Off topic a bit, but once I ordered a beer in a restaurant without ordering food and the owner brought me a beer and a couple of dirty plates. Even Mexico has goofy liquor laws.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wine in restuarants

LOL @ the dirty plates. Ah yes, liquor licenses don't come in a 'one size fits all'. What you encountered was a license to sell liquor, but only with food. The other costs more and has different rules. Fines for violation are brutal.

Once we were sitting in a restaurant on the Malecon having a drink and a snack, enjoying the view, when the waiters came running at warp speed and grabbed all our glasses and bottles, then began to pack away the liquor behind the bar into a back room.

Sure enough a few minutes later, the liquor inspectors showed up. The restaurant had been tipped off, and the emergency plan was put into place. LOL It is what it is. They did give us Red Solo Cups, and told us that we brought them in, should anyone ask. :-)

P.S. As for corkage fees, I know some restaurants (the nicer ones that sell nice wine) charge $50 pesos per person for corkage. Just sayin.

Edited: 11:16 pm, January 10, 2013
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: wine in restuarants

So how was the plate Alegre ? Tender or over cooked....LOL

You've just got to love a country where even the silly laws turn out to be fun !

Edited: 12:35 am, January 11, 2013
9. Re: wine in restuarants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 13, 2014