We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Cid Castilla or Riu Emerald Bay

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toronto
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
El Cid Castilla or Riu Emerald Bay

Travelling in March with wife and 12 year old son. Prices are comparable for both hotels (all inclusive).

Interested in beach, swimming, eating well and relaxing. Night life not vitally important.

Would like hotel where 12 year olds are catered to.

Any suggestions which would be better?

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Cid Castilla or Riu Emerald Bay

The big difference between these two resorts is the location. El Cid is walking distance from shopping and eating in the heart of the Golden Zone while RIU is isolated a few miles north and requires transportation to get to the Golden Zone and most everywhere else. I don't have first hand experience with RIU but I would guess the rooms are a little nicer. El CId is very "kid friendly".

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,741 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Cid Castilla or Riu Emerald Bay

The Riu is Very Kid Friendly... Kids Club... beautiful beach... Newer than EC. a bus ride from down and golden zone.

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Cid Castilla or Riu Emerald Bay

Have stayed at both. I was actually very pleasantly surprised with the RIU last year. Beautiful pools, nice rooms, decent food and good drinks. Was not that impressed (again) with the El Cid this year, unfortunately. The rooms were disappointing and the food was terrible. But the location is great. I don't think I'd stay out in Emerald Bay again just because I love to be able to walk anywhwere I want to go from the Golden Zone. Both are kid friendly and El Cid has lots of people and lots of activities. Their pools and the slides and cliffs to jump off are fun but the pool area does smell bad - not sure what that's from.

4. Re: El Cid Castilla or Riu Emerald Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 05, 2014