We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is there good sailing at the Riu Emerald Bay?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Invermere, British...
Level Contributor
110 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
is there good sailing at the Riu Emerald Bay?

We are thinking of going to the Riu Nov. 16 and am wondering if there is fairly decent sailing there and can the guests sail by themselves? We have been to several Riu's and they all have hobie cats and let you sail alone & we are hoping it is the same here.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is there good sailing at the Riu Emerald Bay?

It can be breezy in November, although later in the month is far better than earlier. In addition the wind often blows from a rather northerly direction which means the best sailing angles are straight offshore (which helps launching of course), or straight toward the beach.

I've sailed many times in Mazatlan but only inside the islands, not in the Cerritos area where the RIU is. However having been in the near shore water there many times I can tell you the rather large headland plays a significant role in redirecting the wind.

I would say for the better, as it can create a more calm condition near the beach for those gusty wind days, and / or you can go a little offshore beyond the extension of the headland to pick up more wind.

Hopefully someone else who has actually stayed at the RIU can help you with questions on the hotel's policies for catamarans. .

Edited: 7:01 am, September 14, 2012
2. Re: is there good sailing at the Riu Emerald Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 22, 2013