We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is August weather pretty much the same as July?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Rancho Mirage...
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is August weather pretty much the same as July?

I'm looking at next August instead of July we just came down in july it would rain only at night but I saw the average rainfall for August is 26 inches that's a lot of rain a lot more than July averages. So my question is does the weather change quite a bit from July to August?

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is August weather pretty much the same as July?

I think you may have misread something mobius. Actually the average rainfall for the "wet season" of July, August, and September is about the same....10 inches per month.

On your bigger question, the difference in weather between July and August isn't very much. In fact many years you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Summer rain typically falls somewhere between about midnight to sunrise, so your experience in July this year would be the same for August next year.

With regard to air temperature, again I'm not sure you'd really be able to discern much difference between July and August. The only thing you might notice is a little more humidity, since the hurricane / tropical storm season becomes more active in the last half August. However even that is not always consistent.

This year for example, most humidity for Mazatlan during July and so far in August was created by storms developing in the local mountains and deserts of Northwest Mexico. These storms ended up pushing "monsoon" conditions north into Arizona, California, and New Mexico, where heat levels have caused some very big fires.

Hurricanes and tropical storms during September and October are very often the maker of heat and humidity over local storms. However that's not the case for July and August. In the end I think you'll find the weather for those two months very, very similar.

Edited: 10:00 pm, August 27, 2012
Rancho Mirage...
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is August weather pretty much the same as July?

Thanks for the response looks like we will change to August!

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is August weather pretty much the same as July?

You're welcome, and enjoy your trip !

P.S. There really is no bad month to visit Mazatlan. The heat and humidity of summer is actually less than what millions of visitors to Disneyland and Epcot Center experience in Orlando, Florida. Plus you get to see how Nationals vacation, which is a kick and a great learning experience.

The "cold" people have mentioned for January or February, really only happens in extreme La Nina conditions...about once per decade. Even then we're talking "only" 65 or 70 degrees (18.3 to 21.1 C.), whereas the temperature at home is probably somewhere near freezing....;^)

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is August weather pretty much the same as July?

I second what Aquamaz says and will add that a high of 65 or 70 as infrequently as it happens is certainly a disappointment for any traveler to Mazatlan. That is why I have only been to Mazatlan once in January and February and that was only becasue it was a family obligation. Every other month of the year is the best month to visit Mazatlan! LOL The Nationals that vacation in Mazatlan in the summer are certainly a kick.

5. Re: Is August weather pretty much the same as July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 16, 2013