We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not really tourism related, but........

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Not really tourism related, but........

For your friends up north who think Mexico is a vast wasteland full of death and destruction. Where nothing EVER gets done. Where there just is no government, and if there were, they NEVER do anything that is good or right. Lay this one on them.

Today about 10 a.m. there was a guy from Secretaria de Salud (The Mexican GOVERNMENT health department) going door to door asking "Do you have a pet? Would you like a FREE rabies booster shot for them?" Lucy got a little shot in her rump that she did not care for, but it took all of 3 seconds. And the gentleman left with a nice tip and a cold coke. When is the last time the US or

Canadian government went door to door with free anything?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not really tourism related, but........

not to take away from their efforts but we mostly take our pets into the vet for shots. Different cultures.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not really tourism related, but........

I hope you gave Lucy a little extra treat since you put her through that trauma! LOL All kidding aside, Mexico's middle class is getting stronger while ours is getting weaker! Moving to Mazatlan in four years when I retire is looking more inviting every year.

Edited: 4:55 pm, May 03, 2012
Iowa
Level Contributor
3,376 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not really tourism related, but........

I don't want my government doing that. If I get a pet I am responsible for its bills and care.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not really tourism related, but........

Katzgar - IMHO for every pet owner who is responsible and looks after their petws (shots, etc.) there are at least 5 pet owners who do not. American or Canadian, just take a trip to the humane society to see how "responsible" people are.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not really tourism related, but........

Katzgar - IMHO for every pet owner who is responsible and looks after their petws (shots, etc.) there are at least 5 pet owners who do not. American or Canadian, just take a trip to the humane society to see how "responsible" people are.

6. Re: Not really tourism related, but........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:36 am, May 04, 2012
Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not really tourism related, but........

The subject is somewhat related to tourism because it's good for travelers to know that we don't have a real problem with Rabies here in Mexico, in spite of the numbers of dogs running freely. That's what this Government program is accomplishing. We round up the neighborhood dogs whenever the Health workers comes to our area, and make sure they all get their Rabies vaccinations. (That's always fun as most aren't used to having leashes or collars).

The Health department also goes around the neighborhoods and gives flu shots to the young and the elderly, or those that work with the public. Yet another group from the Health center inspects for standing water, other times, in an effort to prevent Dengue Fever, handing out little crystals to put at the base of potted plants, etc.

If you have ever wondered why there is writing in chalk on the front of houses and gate posts, it's the system in place to let their coworkers know this house has been visited. Somehow I don't think this system would be embraced, up north. :-)

Edited: 11:15 am, May 04, 2012
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not really tourism related, but........

While it is true that there are many problems here, as well as in the US or Canada, once in a while they do something right. As mentioned they do flu shots, TB testing, mosquito control (Inside your property) and other things of that nature. As I mentioned about mosquito's, the come by once or twice a year and will com into your property and put little packets of mosquito poison any place they find standing water, and in the water cisterns, etc. It is all free, and requires you to allow them in, and it is a big help. (Plus they have spray machines that go out once the mosquito season starts and spray entire neighborhoods.)

For the poster's who said they just take their pet to the vet, so do most of us here. However do not overlook the fact that many people here cannot AFFORD a trip to the vet. And some forget. The point is, that ON OCCASION,the Mexican government functions as a government should. They sometimes take care of the citizens. And that is what they are supposed to do.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not really tourism related, but........

Very informative reply Roger. I am sure many people will be surprised at the

community services offered in Maz. I realize a lot of people in Mexico can't afford Vet services. While many people NOB are able to, they just don;t bother for whatever reason.

10. Re: Not really tourism related, but........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:42 am, June 22, 2013