We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about El Cid El Moro

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about El Cid El Moro

Hubby and I are heading down to El Cid El Moro on 4/21 with another couple, and it's our first time to Mazatlan. I have read pages and pages of reviews and posts in the Forum, but there are a few questions I still have:

1. We are debating on doing the "free" shuttle from the airport because of the 2 hour timeshare presentation. Isn't it only $25 for a taxi from the airport? We are signed up for Elite all-inclusive, so not sure what other perks they would offer us for sitting through their presentation?

2. Regarding the restaurants at El Cid, I know everyone has different tastes, but are there any to completely avoid? Also, has anyone done the champagne Sunday brunch at El Marina?

3. What is the best place to exchange our US Dollars for pesos? Right at the airport? Somewhere in Golden Zone?

4. Are there a lot of rocks and coral on the beach going into the ocean? I know the waves will be a bit rougher than the Cancun side of Mexico, but I haven't read about quality of the sand, etc.

5. If we take the free shuttle over to the El Cid Marina, can we then take another free shuttle to the private beach? Are there lounge chairs on that beach or not?

6. Any opinions on the tours offered? Deer Island Tour? Tequila Tour? Sunset Tour? We usually like to do a trip out on a boat at least one day and/or night during our vacation.

7. I heard there is a beach party at Diegos on Tuesday's with a live band? We enjoy live music - any other places you recommend?

Sorry this is so long - I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can before we leave. Thanks to all your tips about the rooms at Moro, I know to request a high floor, facing the pool and ocean for best views. Hoping for a corner room too!

Thank you in advance to ALL the El Cid experts!!

Morris, Illinois
Level Contributor
774 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about El Cid El Moro

1. take a taxi.

2. the restaurants are OK, much better places outside of any El Cid.

3. All ATM's give a much better rate than any hotel or cambria.

4. The beaches are totally awesome, if you like boogie boarding you will love it.

5. El Cid marina has a free water taxi that will take you to the beach.

6. Sunset tour is nice but you might also enjoy a Panga (25 pesos round trip) to stone Island from the embarcadero and kick back there for a day, good restaurants there too.

7. Diego's is great, the food is good and there is always music, if you go on Tuesday (The Brenster) you will need to make a reservation. Otherwise they have recorded music all the time.

8. ENJOY MAZATLAN

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about El Cid El Moro

The problem with the shuttle Rachel is that you may not be the first stop. Depending who's on your flight and where they're staying, your trip from the airport could end up being a real drag. Some else can give you the exact fare, but $25. to $30 with tip sounds about right. With two couples to split the fare, you'd be foolish not to take a taxi and get your vacation started post haste.

When you arrive at El Cid Marina you can take the free shuttle to the beach on the other side of the harbor mouth. That shuttle is a boat of course.

The beach there is very pristine and quite wide. The sand is somewhat coarse and the type you sink into a little bit as you walk. No rocks to speak of, and no coral at all. As far as the waves it's actually more dangerous in Cancun. Let me explain.

In Cancun when they do have waves they are created by local wind storms that are common in the Gulf. Since the storms are close, so too will be the waves be very close to one another with very little time inbetween. Generally about 5 to 8 seconds apart.

At the time you'll be in Mazatlan, most of the waves are coming from very far away since they're primarily created by strorms way down in the South Pacific. These waves will be quite spread out, usually about 12 to 18 seconds between them.

Yes very big waves can be dangerous, but the odds are very high against you're seeing anything like that. Moreover that's an obvious danger people easily recognize. What actually gets people in trouble are waves which are very close together.

In wind storm waves you have very little time to catch your breath or get prepared for the next wave. Then there's the fact the very short period (a period is the time between two waves passing the same point) means you get hit by the surge so many more times in a given period of time.

On your tour question the El Cid has a concierge who will be very familir with all the tours, and have brochures with pictures that will give you a better idea of what they're like. I personally love taking the big amphibious vehicle to Deer Island. It's sort of like being alone on your own island, but then you just look across the channel at all the hotels and the city in the distance. I would also recommend you go to Stone Island, which again is so peaceful and pristine.

Lake Mills, Iowa
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about El Cid El Moro

Tuesday at Diego's with the Brenster is a great time...it might be his last one one the Tuesday you are there.....highly recommmended :) enjoy all of Mazatlan

Bourke, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about El Cid El Moro

GET A CAB, we do not want another thread started about someone coming down, going to a presentation, getting sucked into buying a timeshare, and a day latter realise what they have done and cant get out of it.all for a free breakfast and a hundred buck.

When you are leaving the terminal, and some one asked where you are staying, just say I LIVE here, get out of the terminal, go to the kiosk, pay your money, get in a cab, get to where you are staying, and have a great time in this wonderful city.

Morris, Illinois
Level Contributor
774 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about El Cid El Moro

Also make sure to spend an afternoon/evening at Plazuela Machado in historic Mazatlan. I'm sure you will really enjoy it, plus there are several good restaurants and usually on Friday and Saturday nights there is live music everywhere..

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about El Cid El Moro

Take a cab and forget the timeshare presentation. Yes it is now less then $25 US from the airport and less then that back to the airport. Its a vacation-you want to enjoy yourself. Use the ATMs--there are now 4 of them on the right, just past the newstand and just before you exit the air terminal. Diego's is great on Tuesdays, and see your consierge for a good tour. I also recommend the amphib to Deer Island and a day at Stone Island.

Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
558 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about El Cid El Moro

Why is a cab so cheap? I also saw something on here about a new road. Is there a quicker route now? Does the new road make it easier to get to Estrella del mar?

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
622 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about El Cid El Moro

We just returned from the El Moro, and in our opinion, as with many others we spoke to, avoid the Mexican restaurant, ironically enough. We didn't mind the Japanese, however we did not order the sushi. The italian was ok, many people really enjoyed it. Our best meals were eaten off of the resort.

I would definitely take a taxi,

Bourke, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about El Cid El Moro

No new road, just the bridge at El Conchi has been completed, so now there is no detour. Makes it a lot easier to get to Estella del mar

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about El Cid El Moro

I´m here at El Cid Moro right now and I´m AI this time and I´ll tell you what, The Alhambra which is located right in front of the Castilla pool put on one heck of a buffet. Big sauteed Prawns, two different kinds of Ceviche and a good salad bar. I´ll definately eat there a couple more times. I´ll eat at the Cascada a couple of times and post what I think of it. Since the AI I purchased was 500 bucks cheaper than the European Plan every meal I eat at the El Cid is found money. As has been stated the Concha and Conchita are not included in the regular AI. Hando4949 gives good advice, don´t get suckered into a time-share. Theyér a fraction of the cost on the secondary market. Hey hando Webclubbin says he´s on his own for fishing so we have an open seat if you care to go on Tuesday. 125 bucks covers boat,tip and license. They´re catching Corbina and Pargo along with a few other types I can´t remember the name of. LOL

Edited: 4:58 pm, March 31, 2012