We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Minnesota
Level Contributor
60 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Volunteering

I regularly do volunteering at home and would like to do something worthwhile during my upcoming trip. I have emailed one of the Orphanages to see if they need any supplies that I could bring down and any assistance while I am in town... Any ideas????Thank you!

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteering

There is a very popular and active organazation helping pets who I believe are named Los Animales de Mazatlan. Both Mazatlecos and expats living in Mazatlan are very involved with the group. Perhaps someone here has contact information for them as they do really good work.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteering

This is the website.

http://www.amigosdelosanimalesmaz.com/

In order to support the animal shelter (which survives only on public donations) there is a new thrift shop selling clothing and other household items at very good prices. It is located on the second floor of the animal shelter and very well stocked. They are always collecting donations, so if you have used clothing you don't need, and space in your suitcase to bring something, it will be very much appreciated. As well, any time spend walking dogs and visiting with the cats is a great help. The hours, etc. are on the website.

Edited: 7:21 pm, January 26, 2012
Minnesota
Level Contributor
60 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteering

Thank you both very much for your information!!!!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
60 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteering

Does anyone know of any locations of an orphanage that need volunteers?

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteering

La Vina Mission church on Camaron Sabalo about 300 meters north of Panama Restaurant in the Golden Zone always needs volunteers to go out into the colonias to help feed poor people. The office is open 9 AM to 1 PM Tuesday-Sat. Don't miss their "Dump Tour" on Tuesday and Thursday. Just show up at 9 AM and plan to spend 4 hours--its life changing.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
60 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteering

Thank you for the suggestion! I am planning to volunteer at the animal shelter and will stop by the mission. :)

7. Re: Volunteering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, April 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan