We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balboa Towers, March 10-17

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fargo
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Balboa Towers, March 10-17

I am a first time visitor to Mazatlan and am booked to stay at the Balboa Towers. I was wondering about this hotel, what people thought and some good places to go out to eat in the vacinity. Also, if you are going during the 10th-17th of March let me know where you are staying!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
705 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balboa Towers, March 10-17

paulspnk

Hello, I have never stayed there but it seems like a nice hotel. places I like to go is Gus Gus they have good food and a great band. I'm there most every night from march 3-march 17. Scroll down this forum for 1 titled resturants it list some great places to go eat at.

Hope this helps

mark

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balboa Towers, March 10-17

My folks have owned timshare weeks at Balboa for years, so we've stayed there many times, usually in early march. Until last year I would have described Balboa as kind of a retirement hotel, older clientle, but last year they started letting spring breakers in for the first time, much to the chagrin of most of the regulars. So I have no idea what it will be like this year. I heard they were going the party route again, I guess you'll find out soon:) Other then that, it"s a nice hotel, good restaraunt, great location.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balboa Towers, March 10-17

They have a nice restaurant on site-Mauricios Shipwreck. Escellent and cheap breakfast--right on the water. There are many excellent restaurants close by.

Fairfax,Virginia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Balboa Towers, March 10-17

Hey Paul,

I was invited to stay with some relatives last May at their time share at Balboa Towers and all in all,the place was fine.We are not talking the Ritz Carlton here, but the place was spacious,there was daily maid service,there is a great little restaurant facing the ocean that can't be beat for a nice breakfast,there is a cheap laundry across the street that will fold your clothes as well as washing them,and there is a pharmacy next door.You are walking distance to almost everything except the old town.The staff was very friendly.

Drawbacks,if you can really call them that;at high tide sometimes the ocean comes up to the foundation of the hotels there...what I mean is,if you are like me and want to take a long stroll alone at night along the oceanfront,you make not get very far.Secondly,the units are dated and saying that you should expect to find that the kitchens and bathrooms are "old".They are supposed to have fully stocked kitchens but you may be hard pressed to find stuff to cook with.The water pressure in the toilets and showers is,well,minimal.There was one day where the showers put out brown water...we had our own theories about where brown water comes from...so beware.The higher up your unit is,the better the view! Great sunsets at night! You will love Mazatlan.I am going back in May : )

P.S.:Buy large containers of bottled water at "Gigante" the American-like supermarket about 3 miles up towards town.We used these to cook,and to brush our teeth.Used the "potable" water tap in the kitchen and eventually everyone became ill...was it the water? Maybe,so play it safe!

Regards,

Ron

Cedar Rapids, Ia
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Balboa Towers, March 10-17

If there is not a 5 gallon bottle of water on your kitchen counter at the Balboa Towers, ask the front desk to send one up. We went through 2 bottles. There may be a charge of about $2 US per 5 gallon bottle -- cheap!