We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
ST Louis Missouri...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic

I've done a little research, but cannot seem to find my answer exactly.

I've been through currency conversion sites and see that 1 pesos = 10 cents USD (appx).

What are the denominations that are used down there? I suppose the actual question is what is the lowest form of currency?

Not thinking exchange rates, but do they use 1 peso like we use 1 dollar or 1 penny?

I remember buying a bottle of ketchup in Mexico, but I paid on plastic so I didn't have to worry about a whole lot. The price was 9.99 on the bottle (two years ago) and I think it converted to about 1.00 US.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,283 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency???

One peso is like our dime, 10 pesos = $1 ect you will see everything from 1 centavo (1/10th of a peso--I think)to 500 peso bills there are bigger bills but you would probably have to ask for them from a bank. I have a jar full of the smaller coins(centavos ect.)since it too hard to figure how to use them while on vacation

Level Contributor
474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency???

It's very unlikely you'll see anyone charging you $99.50 (meanin 99 pesos and 50 cents (or centavos)). Most retailers don't want to deal with centavos so they just round things up.

In most supermarkets they have a permanent campaing to round your bill to the nearest peso so those "pesky" cents are instead given to charity.