We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pesky beach vendors

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reno/tahoe
Level Contributor
137 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pesky beach vendors

We've travelled to Mazatlan for years (Cabo also, but now it's way too expensive) and always have to deal with pesky beach vendors. You know, T-shirts, craft items to offers of drugs. Anyway, a firm no gracias sometimes works. Yes, we support the vendor economy and make purchases, but when ur into a good book, want to relax or be left alone, its frustrating to have a vendor ask you to buy, no gracias, and not more than a minute goes by and another comes up and asks the same question...no, no, no, but they still come on endlessly.

We're thinking of a small sign that says no me molestes or no me chingas and stick it in the sand. Not likely effective. Being confined to the hotel pool is not the true beach experience we travel 1000+ miles to experience. Any suggestions on being left alone? Long ago in Cabo our hotel had a roped off area as a vendor-free zone.

Last March we took a day trip to stone island (it was nothing like i remember 15 years ago! The aligators are still there!) ) and the vendors drove the good wife batty. We were in the palapa 'restaurant' trying to eat our lunch and it was non stop bombardment of vendors coming to ur table and won't take no for an answer.... turn one away and another immediately takes his/her place.

Ideas from the panel?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
705 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pesky beach vendors

hello washoelaw

I have been going to mazatlan for 8 years now. When I'm sitting on the beach I never make eye contact nor do I look interested. I have found that doing this I never get pestered.

Also more hotels are putting a rope to keep vendors away.

I hope this helps.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pesky beach vendors

If you insist on plopping yourself in front of your Zona Dorada hotel for your entire vacation you will indeed find the vendors to be "pests". My suggestion is to venture out to some of the less crowed and even more beautiful beaches such as Deer Island or Playa Bruja.

The fact of the matter is you can affoard a trip away and the vendors want to sell you their wares and services. We just got home and found the prices on the beach the best in town!! Not to mention some of my new friends were the regular vendors.

If you want full privacy perhaps you would choose an out of town ai resort where there is nothing elce to do!!

CANADA
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pesky beach vendors

I have traveled to Mazatlan for years and have spend countless hours on the beach, right in frount of Joe's. The beach vendors are one of the things I look forward to. Yes the do walk up and down the beach, and try to sell you anything they can. But this is how these people feed their families. I wish that my sales staff work as hard as these people do. If you simply tell them no thanks, they will go on to the next person.

If you don't like the beach Vendors, don't go to Mazatlan.

I personaly like sitting on the beach and working out some great deals, chating to them about Mazatlan and there culture. If you want something they don't have the will find it or make it for you. This is service you'll never find in a store.

All the beach Vendors, do have to be licensed by the city, and do not go up on to the hotel properties. (if thet do the hotel chases them off, and can report them. Then they lose their license, and can't work) So if you are bothered by them, sit on the hotel side of the yellow rope, or by your pool.