We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Residience Club La Jolla Scam

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Eagan, Minnesota
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Residience Club La Jolla Scam

Recently, my husband and I went to Mazatlan, Mexico and went to a timeshare presentation at Residence Club La Jolla and got misled into purchasing a timeshare. We purchased the timeshare on a Sunday , 2010 and we went to the Mexican Consumer Protection Agency, Profeco, on Tuesday, 2010 to cancel the order (under Mexican law we have a 5 day right of rescission). We had the official certified letters sent to cancel and we have copies to prove this point. We also went to the American Consulate and got advice from them. I was also advised by lawyers to make more copies and send the documentation by Fed EX and other carriers to make sure that it gets delivered.

During the presentation we were told that they were only going to charge our Citibank credit card $3250, but when they brought the receipt back they had charged $9,900. Then they said that they had to charge the entire amount, because we would have to pay an additional $1,450 for closing costs. The sales person confirmed repeatedly La Jolla is an American Company based in Phoenix, AZ and we would be under the US regulations in this process. They also stated that we have 30 days to cancel the purchase if we wanted to do so (we found out its only 5 days in Mexico). We also asked during the presentation to take the contract with us first, so we could read it thoroughly and they would not let us take the contract.

When we got online the next day we knew that this was fraud. I read online from a realestate person in Mazatlan that we are all just stupid people for believing in these lies...Did we check our brains at the plane? I believe I checked my brain when making reservations to visit Mexico. I really cherish people that chime in and defend the criminals as opposed to the victims. It is a great society when criminals get defended and victims get abused for writing what they experienced to help others.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Residience Club La Jolla Scam

“I read online from a realestate person in Mazatlan that we are all just stupid people for believing in these lies...Did we check our brains at the plane?” Close. But isn’t it amazing how no one has ever posted that they were saved because they read what IS on this forum about timeshares already? Every post is from someone who found out AFTER they bought.

“But I have never experienced the deceit that I experienced at La Jolla and in Mazatlan in general!” Mazatlan in general?

“Every taxi driver and street people seem to be in on the scam and say how wonderful La Jolla is and they are great people.” I really doubt you rode in EVERY taxi in Mazatlan (There are several hundred). I have no idea what ‘street people’ you might have come into contact with.

“ I also totally agree that the people we met on the streets of Mazatlan are all dishonest and annoying.” So EVERYONE in Mazatlan is dishonest?

You do not help your case, nor gain any sympathy by such wild overstated accusations. As to what a benefit it is for you who have been scammed to come on and complain about it over and over and over…… (Especially the person who just bought in Oct. this year) If you look on the very front page of the Mazatlan forum, in the upper right-hand corner, you will see “Top questions about Mazatlan”. The third item down is titled “What should I know about (local ) Timeshares”. It has been there for months. And still people come down, get suckered, and come on here to share it with us. One of you said you asked to take the contract with you to read over. That tells me you had alarm bells going off in your own head already! They refused and you did what? Walk away? Nope. You signed up anyway.

I am sorry you got suckered and lost money. But it is not the fault of Mazatlan, the taxi drivers, the ‘street people, or any of us on this forum who are tired of hearing from people who knew better but tip toed down the garden path to a big fat scam. The scammers are 90% to blame for it. The last 10% is yours I am afraid.

I have said it before, I say it again. If you fall for the sales pitch of ‘Come to our free breakfast and we will give you ……” then you are begging to be scammed. There is no one to blame but them, and YOU!

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Residience Club La Jolla Scam

We never hear from people who planned their trip properly. They read about Mazatlan and enjoyed the sites and activities and heeded the timeshare warnings. They had a great trip and post about those experiences. They probably were saved from a TS scam because they knew better than to go to a presentation.

There is no amount of warnings that are going to help anyone else. They didn't research their trip in the first place.

After they arrive they listen to this unreal crap about free breakfast and gifts--only 90 minutes. BUT bring your credit card.

WHAT?? Why would you need a credit card to get free gifts? Anytime someone is inquiring about your credit card is enough warning for any thinking person. Anyone continuing past that point is too far from reality for any more warnings to help.

You went to something free that required a credit card. You signed contracts you couldn't look over. Whose fault is that?

Don't blame anyone on the street or anyone else.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Residience Club La Jolla Scam

I was saved by Trip Advisor! may have done it otherwise...

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Residience Club La Jolla Scam

The "street people" referred to must be the outside contacts which are hired by & paid very well by the folks at the timeshares to get people in the door, whatever the cost or lies that need to be told.

It has been said before & I will repeat it here, if you can not say no to hiigh pressure sales people stay away from the timeshare presentations it is their job to seperare you from your hard earned money ---just that simple.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Residience Club La Jolla Scam

"..if you can not say no to hiigh pressure sales people.." boy, ain't THAT the truth but even if one goes, they don't know if your credit card is expired, or what the # is, etc. Just have to have your thumb ovewr it and then NOT let it see daylight again for a while. As I just read for the umteeenth time just don't go 'less u r a "pro". So to speak. Danger out there mostly. Research doesn't always rule over temtation when gifts and $ are laid out but I always feel for the ones who get hurt. And hope they find way to deal with things whether legal or jusr roll with it. Too many sad stories. Me, I like to read some peoples stories of getting bunches of cash. Weird maybe but at least not every one gets taken. Average Joe? stay away!!

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Residience Club La Jolla Scam

Another awesome post by Nesslar!

chulavista
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Residience Club La Jolla Scam

My husband and I bought a timeshare at La Jolla and we are really happy about our decision. We just went on January and spent a really good time down there. The new building is looking just fantastic and i can honestly say that we got all they promised. They sold 3 of our timeshare properties and we already got our money, so I don't know what are you people talking about when saying that La Jolla is Scam!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Residience Club La Jolla Scam

Prove it. ...with your 2nd (in total) post....

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
244 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Residience Club La Jolla Scam

surfnturfn, do you really think some shill would make a fake posting?

8-)

Steve

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Residience Club La Jolla Scam

Thanks peps35, haven't laughed that hard in quite a while and really needed that.