We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great fishing!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Altoona, Iowa
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Great fishing!

On December 26th, myself and the family (total of 6), experienced the most awesome deep sea fishing experience with Gray Enterprises. El capitan, Guillermo, and shipmate Reynaldo, were instrumental in landing us 4 marlins (all over 5 feet) and one sailfish!!! We were the envy of the fishing fleet. An experience we will never forget!

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great fishing!

Wow, thats a pretty incredible day! I've fished Maz a number of times and don't think I've evenheard f a boat landing 5 billfish in one day. Cobo sure, bu to do it in Maz is something else. I haven't heard of Gray nterprises tho'. Were you out of the old harbor or the El Cid marina? What size boat? Can you point me to a website for them?

Mentioned in this post
El Cid Marina Beach Hotel
2,720 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Altoona, Iowa
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great fishing!

5 billfish is amazing as we understood it as well! My son, who made the reservations, had "warned" us of the possibility of either getting only one or maybe even none! What a surprise! The ship was called the Viking with a picture of a Viking (not unlike the MN Vikings!) on the side. However a man from Gray Enterprises took our family picture with the catches to be put on the website. I am not sure how to reach this fishing group but will contact my son who was referred to them and get your their address. Stay tuned!!!

Altoona, Iowa
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great fishing!

Got the information.....website is www.vikingsfleet.com (our boat that was used was the one on the right side of picture). You can reach them by e-mail at gray@vikingsfleet.com. You may need to pick the area, and of course, this was Mazatlan. Can't remember the Marina...don't believe it was the ElCid. I know we drove south from the Mayan Sea Garden to the lighthouse marker for a marina about 5 minutes from the resort. Sorry I can't be more definitive!

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace Mazatlan
Mayan Palace Mazatlan
514 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Sea Garden Mazatlan
Sea Garden Mazatlan
560 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great fishing!

Vikings Fleet runs out of Marina Mazatlan. Marina El Cid is PART of that marina, at the mouth of the Marian. (The marian area is really expanding!) I think "Grey Enterprises" is the guy who sold the ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great fishing!

Thanks for the info willydog. Thats a day you'll always remember for sure. Falcon, I thought the Marina Mazatlan was the old marina downtown (near the litehouse). I've fished with the Aires fleet out of the El Cid marina and it's miles north of downtown, past the golden zone, as I understand it. Or am I missing something here?

Mentioned in this post
2,720 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great fishing!

Willydog, thanks for the info, and congrats again on a day to remember! Falconroger, I thought the Marina Mazatlan was the old marina downtown. I've fished wth the Aires fleet out of El Cid marina, and it's well north past the golden zone, isn't it??

Mentioned in this post
2,720 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great fishing!

Well that was strange...after I wrote the first reply above I got a "posting failed" notice, first time I've seen that. So I re-replied, and now I see they both posted. Go figure.

Altoona, Iowa
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great fishing!

Just thought I'd let all those interested in Maz fishing.....the picture of our success on December 26 is now posted on the 1st page of the vikingsfleet.com website!

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great fishing!

Willydog; dang, I don't even know how to start...:( When I heard of your great day, it didn't even occur to me that they would have killed all those marlin (looks like at least 4 of the 6 anyway, from the pic). I sincerly don't want to jump on you, it's just a really, really, REALLY tragic waste of the resource, and those captains KNOW better but they keep doing it anyway. You'd think they'd never heard of CATCH AND RELEASE!!! And believe me, they have. A FEW of the captains down there just can't get past proving thier Machismo by killing everything that swims and it's a cryin shame. Cabo's docks used to be piled with dead marlin 20 years ago, and the fishery is now a shadow of what it used to be. Finally most of the captains there have figured out they're literally killing thier livelihood, and C&R is now the norm. I've fished with the Aires fleet when in Mazatlan, and they DO release most of thier marlin, but we fishermen can force thier hand when it comes time to tip, believe me. Again Willy, I don't mean this as an affront to you, but it being fresh in your mind, just picture those huge fish swimming next to the boat, lit up in brilliant shades of blue...compare that to the dead gray they become on the meat pole... There are plenty of tuna, dorado, inshore species, etc..to keep for the table, there's just no need to kill a billfish, period.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Virginia
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Great fishing!

Posted on: 9:18 pm, today Report inappropriate post

MNman,

i was outraged at this carnage. you were so right and i congratulate you on your stand for the RELEASE of ALL billfish. I was impressed with your discetion of this post and as just as you, i was repulsed at the blantant neglect and disregard for conservational ethic. i thought you voiced it all very well and i am disturbed that this kind of thing goes on but at the same time i am proud of you for standing the good ground.

This is a shameful thing and it makes me angry as i know it does you by your response.

If it is of any consequence at all i will copy this to the Maz. forum.

Pigs will always be Pigs. Not to seem rude but i for one hope they choke on every meal they eat from this embarrassment.

Thank you for taking the time to point out the crime that takes place in so many ports and further, the charter company sould be boycotted and i will post this on many forums and boards so that everyone knows who the fish killers are.

There is no sense in this. i hope they enjoyed their killing. This makes me angry as i know it does you.

RELEASE ALL BILLFISH--- NO EXCUSES!!

What a waste. what a waste. Buena Suerte MNman...... jim

<<Return to the Cabo San Lucas forum home page

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico