We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi and shuttle fares - Airport to your hotel - the...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Topic
Taxi and shuttle fares - Airport to your hotel - the...

I was out at the airport today and copied down the exact fares now being charged by the airport (yellow) taxis to various places in Mazatlan. One thing has changed since I last checked. They now charge by zone on a sliding scale.

Zone 1 - All of old Mazatlan and all of the Golden Zone north to the El Cid Marina Hotel.

Taxi - up to 4 passengers $26 USD or $260 MXN

Shuttle - per person $6.50 USD or $65 MXN

Zone 2 - Everything north of the El Cid Marina Hotel up to Cerritos Point.

Taxi - $29 USD or $290 MXN

Shuttle - $7.50 USD or $73 MXN

Zone 3 - Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay and Playa Delfin north to just south of Oceanica.

Taxi - $35 USD or $350 MXN

Shuttle - $9 USD or $88 MXN

Zone 4 - Oceanica and Stone Island (La Isla de La Piedra)

Taxi - $44 USD or $440 MXN

Shuttle - $11 USD or $110 MXN (but I would bet that they won't sell you a shuttle ticket to Stone Island!)

These are the posted prices (and I think they are pre-printed on the ticket you get), so they can't legally charge any more.

The one thing that is VERY obvious is that they are giving a really BAD exchange rate. You should go to the ATM machine that is just behind where you wait in line at the departure check-in counters and get pesos before you buy your taxi or shuttle ticket. Especially if there is a group, you'll save some money.

That ATM machine is in a kind of a dumb location, it's arriving passengers that need it, not departing passengers.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Golden Zone
Golden Zone
394 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
El Cid Marina Beach Hotel
El Cid Marina Beach Hotel
2,854 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Cerritos Resort
Cerritos Resort
19 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
3,347 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
2,046 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi and shuttle fares - Airport to your hotel - the...

Are the taxi rates the same going back to the airport from the hotels? Thanks.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi and shuttle fares - Airport to your hotel - the...

Good question, NO, these are not the same rates as the ones from hotel to airport.

Very generally speaking, since these are negotiable, the cost from your hotel to the airport will be in the $200 MXN to $250 MXN range IF you're in what the airport taxis call "Zone 1". Note: These zones have nothing whatsoever to do with the taxi zones within Mazatlan.

What the cost is from hotels outside of that "Zone 1", I haven't a clue. There seems to be no fixed rate, it's all negotiable.

There are NO LEGAL shuttle buses from Mazatlan to the airport and NO hotel has their own shuttles.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Alberta
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi and shuttle fares - Airport to your hotel - the...

Thanks for the update on the Airport Shuttle service. I am woundering if there are larger Taxi vehicles like a van that can take 6 passengers. Also what zone would be Playa Maria be located in?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
2,046 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi and shuttle fares - Airport to your hotel - the...

Tan-ur-hide....Playa Maria is in zone 2. And David (Mazbook), a VERY good explanation on the taxi/shuttle bus service. I recently picked up clients at both El Cid and Emerald bay an I believe they both had a board outside with rates FROM the hotel to various locations.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
2,046 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi and shuttle fares - Airport to your hotel - the...

Tan_ur_hide, I have recently seen a few passenger vans painted white and yellow with the name of the taxi company that brings folks from the airport to their hotel. It must be a very new service, as there were no prices posted for them at the airport. That's all I can tell you.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi and shuttle fares - Airport to your hotel - the...

Great explanatiion, Mazbook--most hotels in the golden zone have taxi prices to the airport posted near the cashier/reservation desks. If not, just ask at the reservation desk.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi and shuttle fares - Airport to your hotel - the...

Next week I'm going to take a little time and check out just what various hotels have posted as taxi rates to various places, the airport for certain.

Going by what I have been asked for fares from various pulmonia and taxi drivers who station themselves in front of some hotels, I have the feeling that I will find the rates POSTED, NOT NECESSARILY THE LEGAL RATES, to be higher than what you can negotiate with a taxi/pulmonia hailed off the street.

The legal rate to my house from my bookstore is $30 MXN. If I hail a taxi/pulmonia off the street, that is what I pay. When I have approached the taxis/pulmonias that wait in front of the various hotels across the street from my bookstore I'm usually asked for $150 MXN and none are willing to take the fare for less than $100 MXN. That's highway robbery, IMHO.

Clovis, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi and shuttle fares - Airport to your hotel - the...

What zone is the Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan in for fares from airport to hotel? Anticipated fare?

Mentioned in this post
Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan
Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan
1,729 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi and shuttle fares - Airport to your hotel - the...

Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan is Zone 1

Mentioned in this post
Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan
Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan
1,729 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Clovis, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi and shuttle fares - Airport to your hotel - the...

Thanks. Knowing Mexican taxi drivers, you have to make a first impression as a veteran who knows the lay of the land!