We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birth Certs & Permission Slips

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Birth Certs & Permission Slips

I know this has probably been asked but I couldn't find it by searching so will ask again. I promised a kid that works for us that if he did a good job this summer we would bring him with us on our trip in Oct. Well he's done a great job & it's time to start planning the trip, problem is this; he's 17 won't be 18 untill Oct.5th, 4 days after we plan on arriving. His parents are divorced with his mom & dad sharing custody. Do I need a letter from both parents or just one, does it need to be notorized & will a bith cert. & drivers licence be ok for his I D to get into & out of Mex.?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Birth Certs & Permission Slips

I've gathered a bunch of new information on this subject that covers all countries. The U.S. Department of State has a web page with directions to all countries entry requirements.


This web shows that minors entering Mexico with a single parent of a joint custody child, the parent would have to have a notorized permission slip from the other parent. If the parent has sole custody, a copy of court custody papers. A third party would need a notorized statement from both parents. The State Department site also says that the Mexican Officals can be very lax in the enforcement of these rules.

As for now a certifed birth cert or pass port is still needed for everybody.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Birth Certs & Permission Slips

Note: If you use a birth certificate for entry into Mexico, you need some sort of official picture ID, such as a driver's license.