We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live music in Maz

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Oceanside, CA
13 posts
Save Topic
Live music in Maz

Where can one go for live music in Maz? I've been really getting into mexican rock bands like Molotov, Cafe Tacuba, Los Amigos Invisbles etc.

Are there any clubs that feature this kind of live music? Any clubs that have live dance bands?

Also any good music stores where one could shop for a guitaron?

Thanks!

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Live music in Maz

Lots of good live music in Mazatlan. Banda is of course the most popular since Mazatlan is where it started. Here it's often called Musica Sinaloense (Sinaloa music) instead of banda. A dance club called Herradura often has live music, but sometimes may be disco (banda) only.

The major groups you name only come here on tour, so if you're lucky you might catch them.

For live Mexican music, other than Banda, the locations change often, but you'll almost always find it at Tony's on the Y and Gus & Gus.

The only dance club that I know for sure always has live music, of this type, is the Terraza at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan. There are probably others I'm not familiar with.

The most popular dance clubs are the discos, El Toro Bravo, Joe's Oyster Bar, Bora Bora, Mundo Bananas, and others. They play dance music, mostly Mexican rock, continuously from about 10 PM to 4 AM every night.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
1,978 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Joe's Oyster Bar
Joe's Oyster Bar
122 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
705 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live music in Maz

Hello,

I'm not sure what that stlye of music is but i think the house band at GusGus is great. They play a lot old seventies rock.

Oceanside, CA
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Live music in Maz

Thanks for the tips.

Yes I know the bands I named are touring acts, but I figured a city the size of Maz might have a rock or Hip Hop music scene. I'd love to see a local rock band.

We'll be there in 20 days, can't wait.

Mazbook, your shop is where in relation to El Cid Castilla?

Peace

Mentioned in this post
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
El Cid Castilla Beach...
4,284 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Live music in Maz

A long block south, on the other side of the street. Down a passageway behind the Banco Santander Serfin.

Bienvenidos a Mazatlan!

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live music in Maz

For live local bands try Jungle Juice Thurs- Sat or the Woodstock Bar across from the Panama Restuarant Fri & Sat.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
1,637 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
minnnesota
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Live music in Maz

There is also live music at Maui Thurs-Sat and you can find live music in el centro as well. Just look around there is losts of live music there. Have fun, wish I was going too!

Sonora, California...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Live music in Maz

Looking for a guitaron?

Track down a local Mexican bass player by the name of Humberto Santana. He plays at Tony's, Woodstock, etc.

Ask around, as most of the rock musicians know him.

Oceanside, CA
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Live music in Maz

Adieste,

Thanks for the tip!

That's what I'm looking for, some local rock/funk/pop musicians. Is there a local rock music scene? If so where do they usually play and/or hang? Looks like the Woodstock is one of those places. Where is Tony's? Where do babies come from? :)

I'm a working musician (bassist) in San Diego, CA and I'm meeting up with a couple of great musicians from L.A. and we'd love to check out the rock scene (as well as the traditional stuff as well). Can you tell me what group(s) Humberto plays with? I'll definatly look him up.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
minnnesota
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Live music in Maz

I am not sure the date you are going but you can find information on touring bands at

http://www.thebox.com.mx/index.php

also go to Gus Gus for rock and Maui, if you need specific info email me as I have a few friends there who are musicians I can get you in contact with.

San Francisco, CA
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Live music in Maz

Mambo cafe has live latin music (cumbia, salsa, mambo, etc.) every nite, Thursday night is Lady's night the groups are usualy from SouthAmerica, is a fun place.