We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about entering Mexico?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,096 posts
85 reviews
Question about entering Mexico?

Considering that I have observed a really cheap flight to Mazatlan that leaves this Saturday for CDN$150 - one-way to Mazatlan from Edmonton - I am wondering if Mexican immigration requires tourists to already have a return flight pre-booked?

I know the tourist visa card a visitor fills out on the plane can only allow a maximum stay of 180 days.

So ... can someone enter the country strictly on a one-way flight ticket, and book their return flight later?

Just curious.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
176 reviews
1. Re: Question about entering Mexico?

You could walk out if you want to. We've taken multi-city vacations over an extended period of time where they didn't have a clue about our transportation.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,096 posts
85 reviews
2. Re: Question about entering Mexico?

Thanks for the info.

I've heard that its possible to drive to Maz from here in about 5 days. Guess if 8 guys got together - sharing the cost of gas and someone's van - that we would drive it non-stop to Nogales in 2, and then the third to Maz. Gas cost split between 8 ... I figure at (200 x 5 (x2 for return) / 8 ) is $250 per person.

Only problem, to really enjoy ourselves, we would have to take two weeks, given we would need at least a week of driving there and back.

Still makes more sense to fly, even with extra return flight cost.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,096 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Question about entering Mexico?

About the only sense I can see to driving down, is if I was retired and wanted to tour through the USA before entering Mexico, and if we/I wanted to drive to other Mexican locations too. Plus, I'd have to arrange the Mexican auto insurance - that I have been forewarned about - well ahead of any trip.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
4. Re: Question about entering Mexico?

México does not have any restrictions for tourists entering México on a one-way flight and never has had, even though the rumor mill seems to consistently think so.

It sure makes more sense than a non-stop drive from Edmonton to Mazatlán. Even in a van, eight compadres would have a tough time getting enough sleep to drive safely when it was their turn.

Many, many years in the past, my ex and I used to drive non-stop from Albuquerque to San Blas, about a twenty-eight to thirty hour trip. Even with an actual bed in the back of our station wagon, we were both pretty wasted by the time we arrived in San Blas (about 180 miles south of Mazatlán), and we were mere youngsters! I can't even imagine the condition of eight guys after a non-stop from Edmonton. It would take the first week in Mazatlán just to recover.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,096 posts
85 reviews
5. Re: Question about entering Mexico?

mazbook;

I wouldn't relish the idea of any non-stop driving either. I think the only way to really accomplish this is if it was a "month" long road trip, and it was done in an RV, i.e. Winnebago.

Did some non-stop road trips in the past with friends from Detroit to the Florida Keys - 27 hours straight. Wasn't bad, but glad those years are past.

When I started making my own trips with family, to the Keys and upper Florida from Toronto area, we used to make at least two night stops just for rest.

Now-a-days, my wife and I like to take our time when driving.

6. Re: Question about entering Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, September 25, 2009