We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean water temperature nin December

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Francisco
1 post
Save Topic
Ocean water temperature nin December

No one mention it in this forum.

Is it possible to swim in the ocean in December and not to get frozen? Any particular places with warmer water, for example Stone Island? I was in Mazatlan in January 2 years ago and it was too cold, like below 70F(20C). Any thoughts about this December, please?

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean water temperature nin December

I'm a wimp and swim in the ocean in front of Costa de Oro and Inn at Mazatlan in December. In January-April I leave the ocean to the tougher and younger and use the pools.

Mentioned in this post
Costa de Oro Beach Hotel
Costa de Oro Beach Hotel
347 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
The Inn at Mazatlan
The Inn at Mazatlan
767 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean water temperature nin December

Does anyone know average water temps in degrees? Especially February? I think that anything below 70 degrees feels pretty cold when you stay in the ocean for a while.

Thanks

Mickey

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean water temperature nin December

Average Water Temps

January 63f July 89f

February 64f August 89f

March 67f September 87f

April 72f October 71f

May 77f November 71f

June 85f December 65f

San francisco
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean water temperature nin December

Hi,

We were in Mazatlan 2 years ago in January when you were there. The local newspapers reported it as the coldest ever temps in some parts of Sinaloa. Have been back in December and February since then, and it's great...go in January...it will be great.

And always go to Stone Island.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
San francisco
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean water temperature nin December

Hey,

We were in Mazatlan two years ago in January when you were there; the local newspapers where reporting that it was some of the coldest tempuratures ever recorded in Sinaloa. We have since been back in December '08 and january of this year. It was great...so go.

And always go to Stone Island.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean water temperature nin December

The water won't be 70 degrees in January. However it's not likely to be as cold as you recall since that was a very, very cold year. Mid 60's F. is about normal.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean water temperature nin December

You're replying to a two-year old post guys!

Washington State USA
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean water temperature nin December

So back to the future! Funny how that happens, LOL. Still, some good answers about the water. I'd say usually the ocean is warm enough to "get used to" after just a bit of time in it that time of year... and I imagine this thread can be of use to some folks THIS year.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean water temperature nin December

Interesting, it never dawned on me to look at the date of the original post. How did this get resurected?

Washington State USA
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean water temperature nin December

It was pure magic! Just someone surfing/searching, and figured they'd offer a response, I guess, without noting the OP date. Better late than never? Same ocean, different year....