We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mazatlan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burtonsville...
4 posts
Save Topic
Mazatlan

Planning a trip to Mazatlan in June or July. I have three kids 17, 20, and 22. Is this a good place to go? I have never even heard of it. Thanks for any input.

Fargo, North Dakota
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mazatlan

Mazatlan is a great place to go with young adults -- they'll love it! We were there in December with our kids 16, 19, 20, and 22. Stayed in El Centro (old town) where they loved the "real Mexico" atmosphere. So much to do and see, they didn't have much time to spend in the Golden Zone, but I'm sure they'll hit the many lively clubs next time we vacation in Mazatlan! They all want to go back -- many times! My daughter's best friend (22) just spent spring break in Mazatlan and also thought it was wonderful!

Favorite beaches were Playa Bruja north of the Golden Zone and Stone Island way to the south. Lots to do on Stone Island, they loved the banana ride, the calm waters and beautiful beach. We took the water taxi over to the "island" for about $1 U.S. The food is excellent as are the beverages! Lots of vendors, but just say "No, thank you" and they'll leave you alone. However, my kids loved to barter with the vendors when they saw something they wanted to purchase. Playa Bruja (Witch Beach) is quiter, less vendors and bigger waves. Get there in the morning to grab an umbrella and chairs in front of the restaurant, and to rent surf or boogie boards.

Other favorite activities were surfing lessons with Robert Hudson (www.hudsontours.com), fishing, walking along the Malecon, dining alfresco at one of the fine restaurants along the old town plaza (Plazuela Machado) or in the Golden Zone. The people of Mazatlan are so incredibly kind and friendly -- my kids loved interacting with them wherever we went!

If you want any further information about our experience, please feel free to email me. Have a wonderful time in beautiful Mazatlan!

Mexico
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mazatlan

Just returned from Mazatlan last Sunday!

I think your kids will have the fun they need. There are lots of nightclubs and late serving restaurants that they will enjoy at the Golden Zone.

There are also some activities that may suit everyone regardless of their age. The trip to "Stone Island" is the most common trip to take when staying at Mazatlan. And yes, there are lots (you can't imagine how many) of people trying to sell something to you. A little bit annoying at the beginning but they'll eventually get away from where you are. I made the trip to "Stone Island" on a catamaran named "Titanik"... yes... you may imagine my hesitation before jumping on to that thing, but everything went fine :) Usually this kind of trips are "all included", meaning you'll get food and drinks. Must say that although the food is good and quite "Mexican", you'll end up buying some additional dishes to fill your stomach :)

There's also another site that they may like to go, its "El Faro" ("The light house") its a very long walk from the street to the lighthouse, you may take the road (not paved, just soil and rocks) or you may try to climb the hill using the simulated paths until you find the stairs. Just remember that all you will find whenever you get to the top are amazing views and a couple of water bottles (less that a dollar each).

There's also the Acquarium, some other side trips, and the fun you'll get at the hotel you'll be staying. Mazatlan is not an expensive place (compared to Canc��n, Los Cabos, and maybe Acapulco), is very relaxing and I can tell you that at least 70% of the guests at the hotel I stayed at (Mayan Sea Garden) were from the U.S.

Mexico
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mazatlan

And just being curious... why are you going to a place you have never heard of?

And to make this post worthy I recommend that you gather and use all the coupons you can. There are lots of them!

Burtonsville...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mazatlan

I am thinking of Mazatlan because I have a time share and can't find anything or anywhere else of interest that is available.

Thanks everyone for helping

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
244 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mazatlan

In order to get more info on Mazatlan, try a "Google" search or go to www.maztravel.com, www.pacificpearl.com or www.whatsupmaz.com