We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel by bus to MAZATLAN

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
calif
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
travel by bus to MAZATLAN

We arrive i at Puerto Valerta airport. How do we get bus transportation to Mazatlan? How long trip? Is it safe?

16 replies to this topic
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel by bus to MAZATLAN

TAP bus...

http://tap.com.mx/

7.5 to maybe 8.5 to 9 hours.

Winona, Minnesota
Level Contributor
650 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel by bus to MAZATLAN

Interesting.. Did you get a super deal on a flight? Do not know where you live, but we have met several people from southern California who catch cheap direct flights from Tijuana.. that was last year,but it.. may be worth checking out if it works for you. If not, I know Travel Judy knows her stuff about Mexico!!! (hi Judy!)

calif
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel by bus to MAZATLAN

We are in Co. Long hauls fron here to Mazatlan and not particularly inexpensive. SW to Pvr was $156.00 1 way. Wanted to know where we pick up bus in Puerto Vallerta? Is it far from airport?

calif
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel by bus to MAZATLAN

Hi Judi. How far is bus station from airport and can we buy tickets last min with no reservations?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel by bus to MAZATLAN

I hope this link works...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Licenciado+Gustavo+D%C3%ADaz+Ordaz+International+Airport,+Carretera+a+Tepic+Km+7.5,+%C3%81rea+Militar+de+Vallarta,+48311+Puerto+Vallarta,+Jalisco,+Mexico/Bus+Terminal+Puerto+Vallarta,+Bah%C3%ADa+de+Sin+Nombre+No.+363,+Guadalupe+Victoria,+48317+Puerto+Vallarta,+Jal.,+Mexico/@20.6811688,-105.2505535,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x842145dadea3360d:0x98f5837a45fe96c!2m2!1d-105.2523762!2d20.6805184!1m5!1m1!1s0x842145fb52fcf075:0x936b48591fa1780a!2m2!1d-105.2311783!2d20.687219

P.S. It works...just super copy it...and it will work!! I did the PVR airport to the bus station.

Edited: 11:21 pm, November 19, 2017
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel by bus to MAZATLAN

Judy,check out tinyurl. Google it.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
324 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel by bus to MAZATLAN

I've done this trip a few times (save hundreds of dollars on flights coming in to PV usually and besides, a stop in PV is kind of nice).

It's very simple. Get off the plane, go out the main exit at the airport, look for the overhead walkway to cross the street and catch a cab to the bus station. You'll save about 50% on the cab fare this way, although if you are at all afraid of local taxis, you can catch one of the official 'safe' cabs from the airport. Ask the cab driver for "central" or "central camionera". It's about 2 miles or so, but will still cost about $5-10. Alternately, if you travel light and are cheap, you can walk to the nearest bus station across the street and for about 10 pesos catch a bus. I've walked it before but don't recommend unless it's very early in the morning or at night - quite hot.

At the bus station, look for the TAP counter and ask for a bus to Mazatlan. You will need to speak at least a few words of Spanish because there's only one guy there who speaks a bit of English and he's not always available. It's about 700 pesos per person and the buses have AC, movies and are quite nice. There's a brief stop in Tepic on the way, but only about 10 minutes. It's about a 7 hour ride if I recall correctly. Buses run about 5 times a day I think. You can check the schedule on their web site, but you can't book online with an out of the country credit card.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
324 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel by bus to MAZATLAN

"How far is bus station from airport and can we buy tickets last min with no reservations?"

It's a couple of miles. You can buy tickets last minute but availability is dependent on the date. I've bought tickets and gotten on the next bus (an hour or so later) and I've had to wait until the next day, so YMMV. I think you can also use the Pacifico bus to go to Tepic then catch another Pacifico (or related bus company) to Maz. I've used the Hotel Terminal just down the street for an overnight stay in a pinch (about $35?). There's good food at two of the restaurants across Avenida Las Palmas (La Capilla de Lupe for breakfasts and Cazuela de Dona Chelo for dinners).

calif
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel by bus to MAZATLAN

Mike , thank you! The his is exactly the info I was looking for. Very helpful. 1 last question. When arriving at Mazatlan bus station, are there taxes right there that can get us to Pueblo Bonito property ? Any idea approx cost ? ( if we get on the 4pm bus, should arrive around 11pm........

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel by bus to MAZATLAN

There are usually taxi's at the bus station,all day, but late evening, maybe not, but you can call a cab and get one right away. Also Uber operates in Mazatlán.

Reply to: travel by bus to MAZATLAN
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted