We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing poles

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Carlos...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing poles

Fishermen I need help. I would like to try some shore fishing on my next trip. I have read that must use a 15ft pole. great but how do you get a 15ft pole on a airpleane. I know they break down but even then its to large for a suitcase. If I put it into a separate bag will I be chare for a extra pce of luggage

14 replies to this topic
Seattle
Level Contributor
480 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing poles

You probably don't need a 15' pole. I have a 4 piece 9' St Croix surf pole that travels well but a lot of the locals just handline.

M T
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing poles

I'm planning on doing some shore fishing when I'm down in March and have been pondering some of the same thoughts.

One thought I'd had was just purchasing some cheap gear while there versus bringing my expensive stuff, Walmart was springing to mind. Does anyone know if the Walmarts in Maz stock fishing supplies or know of any stores that do?

Winona, Minnesota
Level Contributor
650 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing poles

There is a shop across from the Pueblo Bonita resort area. They are very nice and helpful!

Winona, Minnesota
Level Contributor
650 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing poles

Also, we bought a couple of decent telescoping type rods (Amazon) They easily fit in a suitcase!

Seattle
Level Contributor
480 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing poles

The cheap quality poles are not really suitable for the weight of the lures needed for surf or trolling, can't imagine hooking anything of size on one.

The shop across from PBMZ , (Johnson dealer?) and a couple of sporting goods shops around town have fair selections but are same pricing as Cabelas or a little more. Another option is talk to the Pulmonia guys, one of them set me up with some loaner gear one year.

Edited: 10:25 pm, November 15, 2017
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing poles

Call the airline also to see if you can carry on the reels...some airlines will allow it...some will make you take off the line... Traveling international can be difficult with reels. And also coming back from Mexico is a whole different story. Be prepared for Mazatlan airport security...they like Christmas year round!! They see something they like...and suddenly it will be illegal...so be warned!!

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,860 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing poles

Again, sorry that you had a bad experience with our airport security when you visited several years ago, Judy.

I'd like to share, just to ease everyone's minds, that Mazatlan airport security has never taken away anything from me, my friends, or family that they should not have. I know them to be a good group of people just doing their jobs. My advice to travelers is to be sure you know what's allowed and in what quantities. Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 2:23 am, November 20, 2017
Cherokee Iowa
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing poles

The shop across from PBM Alex's rents rod not 15ft but more like 8 but plenty of fish get caught on them. Not going to find cheap gear in mexico. Pescamaz across the park from the fishermans monument used to have some affordable telescopic rods.Walmart isn't cheaper and not much to choose from. I see no point in any rod over 11 1/2 ft. just wear you out.

yorkton
Level Contributor
92 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing poles

We went to every Mega,Soriana and Walmart looking for fishing gear with no luck.

Completely blew our minds but eventually we found a dedicated fishing shop near the Marina,but I can’t remember the name or address.

Seattle
Level Contributor
480 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing poles

You can carry on a fishing pole on a flight from the US to MX, but not from MX to US, at least on Alaska. Boat motor and fishing place across from PBMZ gone.

Reply to: Fishing poles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted