We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel safety

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
1 post
Save Topic
travel safety

How safe are US citizens traveling in Mazatlan?

23 replies to this topic
Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel safety

I would say you'd be as safe or safer in Mazatlán than you would be in any major city anywhere

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,987 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel safety

Safer than where you are at right now, wherever that is.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
839 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel safety

I would say that US citizens are just as safe as you would be back home, probably safer depending on which urban centre you live in. I'm a Canadian who spends a couple of months each year in Mazatlan and in all my years of travelling there I have yet to be concerned about my safety. In fact this can be said for all travellers no matter where you are from.

I travel freely around Mazatlan and the outer areas using my very poor Spanish and my translator app on my phone and between my very poor Spanish and their limited English I manage to communicate. When I go to an area where English is unlikely to be spoken at all then I employ the services of a translator/guide.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,668 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel safety

Mazatlán is as safe as any city of like size in any country of the world. Come and enjoy.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel safety

Hell'va a lot safer than where you live probably.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel safety

We've been going down to Mazatlan once per year (last week of Feb. & 1st week of Mar.) since 2007. We have really never felt unsafe while in Mazatlan. Very safe!

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,401 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel safety

Don't buy drugs in Mexico and IMO stay out of noodie bars.

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1,239 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel safety

We’ve been going at least once a year since 2000 and no problems at all. The last six winters we have gone for five or six weeks and no problems. We ride the bus and go all over the city and have never had any issues. I have walked a lot in the Golden Zone, El Centro, Olas Altas, on the Malecon by myself and in Sabalo Country and have felt completely safe. Just go and enjoy and get off of the hotel property!

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
573 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel safety

Drink beer/cerveza and enjoy your time in Mazatlan.. Watch yourself on bar drinks - can be intoxicating!

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
839 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel safety

I'm with J-W on this. I do the same things. I travel all over Mazatlan using their transit system.

Sometimes my wife and I will hop on a bus and ride around on it's route just to see where it goes. We did that the first time a few years ago when we we in El Centro. We jumped onto the Toreo bus thinking it would take us back out to where we were staying. It did eventually but not before we went on a bit of a tour of the city. It was great fun.

Reply to: travel safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted