We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Hadas vs Barcelo Karmina thoughts?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Las Hadas vs Barcelo Karmina thoughts?

We are really debating both of these resorts. Food is important because I am celiac. Snorkeling also is important to us and it sounds like Las Hadas has better snorkeling. I know they are fairly close to each other. Also we are non smokers and really appreciate non smoking rooms and eating areas. Any info on either would be appreciated as we are looking at leaving next week for one of these two.

Thanks!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Hadas vs Barcelo Karmina thoughts?

also looking for a resort layout map if anyone kept one of Barcelo Karmina...thanks in advance!

Edited: 8:12 pm, January 01, 2014
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Hadas vs Barcelo Karmina thoughts?

Hi there!

I'm afraid I never kept a resort map, but essentially, the hotel is a U shape with long arms, with the opening facing the ocean. Inside the arms is the pool complex. If you're looking for anything in particular, let me know and I can whip up a google maps + MS Paint monstrosity for you. :)

The majority of the rooms at both hotels are non-smoking, as are the indoor eating areas. I'm allergic to cigarette smoke, and in four weeks of staying at the Karmina, plus annual visits to the hotel to go to the Japanese restaurant, I don't recall ever having a problem having a meal ruined by being too near a smoker, though I know we did change tables one evening.

Having snorkeled the beaches in front of both hotels, I'd say that the Karmina has slightly better snorkeling, but there's actually a small beach right between the two hotels that has really calm water, and is also excellent, and is accessible (with a little perserverance and walking) from both hotels.

One caveat; you live with celiac, so there's nothing I can tell you about finding food out and about that you don't already know, but it's unlikely that you'll be able to find a completely gluten-free kitchen at any large hotel in Mexico. Depending on your tolerance, it might be a good idea to talk to your travel agent about which hotel might be better able to accommodate your dietary needs. They may be able to contact the hotels on your behalf and see what can be done.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Hadas vs Barcelo Karmina thoughts?

Thanks! We have pretty much decided on Barcelo Karmina. It just seems to edge out everyone else with its reviews and the comments on the fresh food are quite encouraging. I look foward to trying to get to the other beaches to try the snorkeling so if you have tips on doing that please do tell! It is my one thing I do on my holidays besides enjoy the vistas. I won't be diving this trip so will be seeking out snorkeling spots relatively early morning. Are you a mojito lover? I am sure hoping they make a delicious mojito! I usually take preventative homeopathics for my celiac as I know I am not going to avoid issues completely. After we settle in our room I most often seek out the head chef and explain my needs. I also carry special cards that have the information in Spanish and English which helps. Hoping all comes together for us as we try to escape for a few days!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Hadas vs Barcelo Karmina thoughts?

On the resort, you shouldn't have a problem getting a mojito, but off the resort, it's hard to say for sure! As long as you can describe it, pretty much anyone will be willing to try making it, though - it's an adventure!! :)

As for the beaches, I totally, highly recommend hopping into a taxi at Karmina and cabbing out to Playa Miramar for the boogieboarding. For absolutely excellent snorkeling, cab all the way over to Playa La Boquita. You can actually walk the beach to get from Miramar to Boquita and vice versa, but we haul boogie boards and towels and sunscreen and a bunch of other crap, so it's not worth lugging stuff all over the place, and we generally do a day trip to each beach.

Playa Miramar should be about 70 pesos to get there, and the same to get back - to get to Boquita, it should be about 100 pesos to get there, and the same to get back. You could also hop a bus to get to Miramar, if you're so inclined - much cheaper, and it can be pretty fun. Personally, I find it a bit of a timesuck to walk out of Karmina in particular, because the hotel has a really, really long driveway (more than half a kilometre) with no shade, but to each, their own!

Both beaches have a line of excellent restaurants with umbrellas and beach chairs on the beach. On Miramar, we always end up at the same place (El Tablao, because it has really clean bathrooms and an excellent bacon cheeseburger) but there are a lot of great choices along the beachfront.

Miramar has lots of wave action, so it's great for bodysurfing and boogieboarding. Boquita is calm, clear water, and if you swim or splash as far towards the end of the beach as you can go, there's a rocky area that provides some really excellent snorkeling.

The buffets at Karmina are really excellent, as far as fresh fruits and veggies and such. If you find yourself in need of a little variety, you can also check out Soriana and WalMart - I doubt that either has a gluten free section, but I vaguely recall seeing flavored sesame rice crackers and other celiac-friendly snacks at walmart.

Brooklin, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Hadas vs Barcelo Karmina thoughts?

resortsmaps.com/map-BarceloKarminaPalaceDelu…

Manzanillo, Mexico
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Hadas vs Barcelo Karmina thoughts?

Barcelo every time! :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Hadas vs Barcelo Karmina thoughts?

I am going at the end of January and am celiac as well, would you let me know how it goes for you? And what homeopathic supplements do you take if you not mind me asking?

Winnipeg, Manitoba...
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Hadas vs Barcelo Karmina thoughts?

We liked snorkelling along the edge of the pier at the marina. It is roped in from boats, for the first couple of hundred feet from shore . Visibility is low, and sometimes really bad if there is a red tide . There is a small bay down the road from the entrance to las hadas, it's called yaught drive or something similar. Out closer to the tip of the peninsula. They take divers there for a shore dive. We have run into schools of sardines, which is quite spectacular. From the shore they look like waves.

Las hadas is more quaint than the modern karmina palace. A lot of stairs at las hadas, which may be too much for some. We really liked some of the sea food at las hadas, in particular at Los delfinos by the sea side. You watch fish swim and fight as you eat your meal. Try to reserve a sea side table. Ask about the dessert menu.

Winnipeg, Manitoba...
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Hadas vs Barcelo Karmina thoughts?

There is no night life at las hadas, and that was fine by us. Also no real pool activities , another bonus as far as I am concerned. Peace and quiet. It just isn't as main stream modern and broad appeal as the karmina palace. Karmina would be better for kids, young party crowd, and people who like more traditional food like steak.

Less people go to las hadas, so it's much quieter. It is older, and looks it, but to me it has charm.

Edited: 2:32 pm, January 11, 2014
10. Re: Las Hadas vs Barcelo Karmina thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo