We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Market

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
manitoba
Level Contributor
225 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Market

We are booked into the Blue Bay Los Angeles Resort in Feb. I read/heard somewhere that there is a market on certain days nearby. Am I imagining this or is it true????if so--anyone know where/how one gets there?? One more question--how far from city is our resort??? I thank all for the help.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Market

I think Melaque has one on Wednesday and Barra de Navidad has one on Thursday.

The Blue Bay is a little further away from everything though; Melaque is probably about half an hour or so south, and Barra is another ten or 15 minutes south of that. You should be able to take a taxi there, but I'm not sure about pricing; shouldn't be too much, though! I'm sure someone will chime in with more info soon!

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Market

The town of La Manzanilla has a flea market every Saturday. Lots of souvenir type stuff.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Market

That's definitely closer to the hotel - it's right across the bay. I wonder if there's some sort of water taxi service that goes between the Blue Bay and La Manzanilla - that would be much more fun than driving there!

Toronto
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Market

Gerry,

To locate the Blue Bay resort. Go to Google maps, input Melaque, Mexico. On the north end of Melaque where Hwy 80 and Hwy 200 make a 90 degree turn is "Milepost 0" . The turn off from Hwy 200 into the Blue Bay resort is at the 30 km marker.

I have driven into Blue Bay and there were 4-6 taxis waiting and available for use by the resort patrons. I am in the area now and will try to confirm the dates of the local tanguis (markets) over the next two weeks.

jt

manitoba
Level Contributor
225 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Market

Excellnt advice. I sure appreciate it. Thank-You

Toronto
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Market

Gerry,

Let me clarify a couple of things. I drove from PV to Manzanillo on Sunday. The Blue Bay Resort turn off from Hwy 200 is at KM post 24 not 30 as I previously posted.

When you are on the beach in front of the Blue Bay resort, you can look south across Tenacatita Bay and see the village of La Manzanilla del Mar. (There are 2 La Manzanillas in the state of Jalisco -- the others full name is La Manzanilla de Pas. It is about 200 miles north west.)

The La Manzanilla "Market" (tanguis pronounced -- tong-ghee) is held on Fridays. I was there today. There are three small storefront fishing shops in the town -- and a fishing co-operative. Not much fishing going on right now -- a Red Tide is just subsiding. In the past, there have always been 6-7 fishermen casting from the shore. For off shore fishing (marlin, tuna, etc ), Barra de Navidad has a number of off shore boats that do charters.

Inland, there is La Huerta. It, as I recall has a tanguis on Thursdays. It is not a tourist town and the offerings reflect the needs of a working town with an economy based on plantations and ranching. It is an interesting drive, a clean, safe town. In this area of Mexico, restaurants can always be found around the town square.

I have conflicting information about the tanguis in Barra de Navidad and neighbouring Melaque. Suffice it to say that they are held on Wednesday and Thursday. But, equally reliable residents disagree which town on Wednesday vs Thursday.

jt

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
606 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Market

Tianguis and pronounced tee-an-geese.

Wednesday = San Patricio/Melaque located Calle Revolucion from Calle Abel Salgado Velasco (beach end) and extends up to Emiliano Zapata (soccer field end)

Thursday = Barra de Navidad located on the parallel side street running along the main entrance road (Avenida Veracruz) just past the large soccer field all on left as you drive from Highway 200 towards Barra.

Saturday=Santiago located right on Miguel de la Madrid Ave.

Sundays=Salahua. Scaled down from Saturdays. Mostly food items, fruit, vegetables, etc.

Most arts and crafts (souvenirs) start showing up in December when the tourists start coming.

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
606 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Market

Tuesday in the Barrio in Cihuatlan.

Correction on the Barra market. I am told it is now downtown.

Toronto
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Market

longjohn

"Tianguis and pronounced tee-an-geese."

Your phonetics are much better than mine. If you ask a local resident for the "market" they wont know what you are referring to.

"tee-an-geese"

is what to ask about.

jt

Toronto
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Market

I stopped in at Barra de Navidad today (Thursday). The tianguis was being held -- mostly radiating from the townsquare (downtown). My brother picked up a Saskatchewan Roughriders poncho. (There was a matching Mexican Roughriders wrestling mask to match, but he passed on it,) Some attractive artisan work starting to appear.

jt

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo