We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Map of Zones and where the zones are? Rental Car vs taxis.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Northern CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Map of Zones and where the zones are? Rental Car vs taxis.

I am a bit confused about the zones in Manzanillo. As far as the taxis go. Is there a map of zones available? If so, where do we get it? Or should we just rent our own car, which is what we are thinking of doing. And, if we do rent a car, should I book it from home, or just rent it right at the airport? Any difference in price? And, does our auto insurance work down there, or do we have to buy insurance from them? AND..... is it worth it to rent a car? Thank you!!

Manzanillo, Mexico
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Map of Zones and where the zones are? Rental Car vs taxis.

It depends on the zones. The zones from the airport to town are different from the zones around town. I haven't been able to get to the secretary of transportation to get a new rate list for the taxis but they're reasonable. Typically $40-100 pesos one way depending on how far you're going. Up to 4 people in normal taxis. Buses are a cheap transportation option also at $7 pesos per person one way.

As for renting a car it depends on how much traveling outside of town you're going to do. I've only rented a car once from the airport here and it was very expensive. I booked it online and bought the insurance online also. When I got there they kept trying to say I needed their insurance instead but I eventually got out of it. You'd have to check with your insurance but typically it doesn't cover rental cars in foreign countries.

Typically most people do not rent vehicles unless they have large groups or they know they're going to be traveling around a lot.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Map of Zones and where the zones are? Rental Car vs taxis.

I wouldn't rent a car, just because the rules of the road are similar, but not the same. I'm a really good driver, but I honestly think I would be on the road for 15 minutes before I made a huge, expensive mistake. Taxis are cheap and plentiful, and buses are even cheaper, if you're just moving around the city and between the hotel zone and the larger beach, playa miramar.

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
591 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Map of Zones and where the zones are? Rental Car vs taxis.

Yes, taxis and buses are really cheap. Once you get the feel of the place you will get an idea of what you should pay for a taxi. I always ask the price before getting in. Just got back from zlo (been going for years) and I only bargained with a driver once. He was a little high and knew it and came down right away. All the other taxis gave a reasonable rate at the start.

I'm not sure why someone who isn't going to live in zlo would want to drive in mexico! I've seen a lot of close calls my times there and have no desire to drive there!

zone 1- airport to bridge in santiago

zone 2- bridge to las brisas

zone 3- las brisas to zlo centro

4. Re: Map of Zones and where the zones are? Rental Car vs taxis.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 23, 2014