We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loved Manzanillo and Tesoro

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Loved Manzanillo and Tesoro

We had a wonderful(First) vacation to Manzanillo Dec 7th 2012... I hope this area does not become another PV.....Mazatlan tourist place where one is hounded by TS the moment you enter the airport till you leave... The local folks in Manzanillo were very friendly..

Tesoro was also a very relaxed place and down to earth people there...A place to really let your hair down.. ..(We are not into large 5 star resorts)Got exactly the location of room I had requested.. made many new friends there..staff..locals and fellow Canadians... We had a Canadian row by the pool where we hung out each day... Also highlight of trip was meeting up with and staying at same resort with my Gf's(old school buddy and very close friend ) son ..little guy that was special in my life when he was a new born babe till around one yr old... then I lost contact with GF till a few yrs ago...I would not hesitate to go back to Man and the Tesoro.... Shall see what this year brings...

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-071d-2524-e7fc

Toronto
Level Contributor
132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loved Manzanillo and Tesoro

hi catnhat what room did you request? we are thinking of booking this resort, was it in walking distance to any shops or restaurants?

Thanks

canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loved Manzanillo and Tesoro

Hi TorontoLynn

We stayed in room 444... facing ocean left side of building.Not really too far from the elevator.... Not in the tower.... Not close to pool or disco...very quiet area...nice view ......I loved the King bed... room was always very clean... good shower pressure and hot water....

Long walk to shops and restaurants and bus stop....Some did do the walk even to the Walmart shopping centre... I saved my energy for walking around Manzanillo and Santiago areas.... We took cabs which were very cheap..

If you like munchies in the evening best to pick some up as there are none served in the evening and you cannot take food out of the buffet.....There is a little shop at the resort that sells chips etc in the day time but Walmart is best for snacks... Fridge in room has pop and 2 water water bottles..we do not drink pop so asked for 4 water bottles instead.... I really liked the resort. Staff are great... Looks huge but really not and in a few hrs you will find your way around... We paid 409.00..plus 350.00 taxes each..lowest price... one couple paid 289.00 plus taxes...crazy eh...We missed getting our trip for 350.00 by 2 hrs...Story goes... Huge mistake an agent made booking a wedding..Monday to Monday...Air transat does not fly from Calgary anyway Monday to Monday so they had to switch resorts ..... Thank You bride groom and travel agent for the deals we got....LOL...Plane full of happy travelers... Probably little more info than asked for..My user name should be she who speaks with many words....Ha... Let us know if you book...

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loved Manzanillo and Tesoro

hi Sylvia!

Thanks for this report. We leave tomorrow for the Tesoro. We also got a great deal, $886 each total.

Thanks for the room recommendation too....quiet is good!

We are very much looking forward to escaping the cold which is coming back tomorrow- great timing!

Toronto
Level Contributor
132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loved Manzanillo and Tesoro

Hi me again

do they have ground floor rooms...I love staying on the ground floor close to pool...

thanks for all the info!!

Lynn

canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loved Manzanillo and Tesoro

Hi Maggie...

Here it the email addy Used..You may still have time to put in request before rooms are booked... :)

talk to Gabriella..tell her Sylvia from Calgary gave you her name and addy.. reservationsmzlo@tesororesorts.com;

Have a safe wonderful trip...As always I look forward to YOUR pics and report that are very good...:) Our daughter is coming out from Saskatoon on Thurs..yup time to get away from the cold...little nicer here....

Lynn yes they do have ground floor rooms by pool and pool bar...:)use same email addy and explain what you would like.... Those rooms are close to main buffet... disco..little shops and of course the small beach area.... rooms on ground floor have small patio area....

Here is a link to the ground floor pool area ...ground floor rooms to the right behind hedge and small wall..

…imageshack.us/img594/6215/manzanillo047.jpg

I hope I have not built up expectations too high because we enjoyed the resort and Manzanillo.

Do take your camera with you on the elevator to the 19th floor in the tower..nice view...

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loved Manzanillo and Tesoro

We are here now and enjoying it very much. Love the beach and views, very nice.

Food and hotel I would call a solid three star for Mexico standards, maybe three plus. The evening buffet is not great, it is like a large cavernous coverall shelter, not very nice ambiance. But we got such a good deal we are going to eat dinners off the resort every night for the rest of the trip, other than the two a la carte nights.

We are on the twelfth floor and is dead quiet at night, although the hotel is maybe only one third full right now....it will be full tomorrow though, they told us.

Fishing tomorrow!

Edited: 3:12 pm, January 31, 2013
canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loved Manzanillo and Tesoro

There are several tours to book..again no pressure from anyone.. Miguel Air transat rep is great and loves his job and is very knowledgeable about the area....

There are a few shops at the resort..some off lobby area.. Also lower level...

On my Slideshow you can see our room view.. Quiet side of resort.

The resort I would say is 20 % Canadians

Tesoro..

Bus..van ride from airport is a tour in itself...

Welcome is great..we had a special one that lasted maybe 5min`s..last yr came to love Veronica the concierge..Left this yr loving her more and goodbye's were hard on all 3 of us...

Very friendly and helpful at the front desk... Check in went smoothly.

Because the resort is in the hills..Lobby is on 6th floor although buffet pool Ocean on lower level so not to be confused...

The staff are all wonderful and many went beyond what their duties were.... These people work very hard..The temps with humidex the week we were there was in the low 40`s c... I kept thinking how extra hard that must have made the work for the staff... These people work their butts off while we are pampered on vacation..

The resort is very clean... Every morning and every evening..pool staff were cleaning the area... I think my pics can show more than my words do.. I wanted shade and a few times I asked one of the maintenance fellows to help move an umbrella just so or set one up for me.. They did it with smiles..

The food was good..many times very good... Be sure to check when lower level buffet moves to top floor where eve. Show is... I think it was Friday night that the dinner was uptairs and a wonderful barbecue was put on...

Always lots of fresh veggies...salads..fruits and a variety of deserts.. 2 kinds of soup lunch and dinner... Many Mexican choices on the menu...

If you want a change from buffet at lunch set up in the Palapa (Disco at night) from 12 to 5pm burgers hot dogs.. Fries..nachos ..cheese trimmings are made... My husband enjoyed his double loaded cheese burgers..

I have tummy issues and need to be careful about having no beef or dairy products.. If I asked what was in a dish and the waiter did not know they always ran to the kitchen to ask the cook.. Also I was told if I needed anything (Plain fish etc) just talk to the captain and my needs would be met and they were..

The one thing Tesoro is not set up for is evening snacks.. Late night.. We knew this from last yr so first morning we went to Walmart and stocked up with cheese crackers peanuts pringles etc. .. We used cab... 5 dollars 5min`s to Santiago where we went several times... 5 dollars to walmart...I think it was 10 dollars into Manzanillo... There is a bus stop few min. Walk up a short hill in front of resort.. Very cheap..

I know on one of the cards it says you have to pay extra after you use the water and pop they have in the fridge... Not once did we have to... Every other day our fridge was restocked..I drink 7 up quite a bit and never had a problem getting extra.. Lady at buffet desk always gave when I asked or if a problem I guess ask at front desk...

No coffee maker in the room which we understand as one does not use water out of the tap... I went down most mornings in my PJ`s and brought up to out room 2 coffee and 2 hot water and tea bags so we could enjoy waking up slowing on our balcony... There is room service..

Rooms were cleaned everyday and never had one complaint.. We left the towels that needed replacing in the tub and always had fresh towels.. Hallways were cleaned same.

Time..

NOT once anywhere on resort or elsewhere we were bothered by TS.. . Rec staff were great and at this resort you do not feel you are at a camp... If you wanted to participate you could..no thanks was accepted

smiles go a long way If you are friendly and polite it will be returned to you..)

This area is becoming more popular with Canadians.. Everday before we left we heard on a Calgary radio station Manzanillo being promoted.. My son sells west jet vacations and west jet has picked up Tesoro..

If we have a complaint or 2 about the resort they just are important enough to mention...

We had a great vacation ..just missed last yrs Canadians :)

new video …tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-07fc-fafa-38c3…

Edited: 1:20 pm, January 08, 2014
Calgary
Level Contributor
495 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loved Manzanillo and Tesoro

Thanks, this is great. We leave on Jan 17th for 2 weeks. WestJet vacations had a great 2 week deal.

I'm going to send an email requesting a room high up so that we get the sunsets but I don't want to hear the Disco all night. I don't care if we get a King bed or two queens, is there a room you'd recommend?

canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loved Manzanillo and Tesoro

You are on your countdown...say hello and give Veronica concierge ( a Huge hug from Bill and Sylvia)

I do not know what room is good high up ... we had a great sunset view from our room but yes the views high up are great... Just remember if you have questions and concerns (room etc) at the resort do ask at lobby desk or go see Veronica.....

My son sells west jet vacations.. I like traveling west jet although this trip for us the deal was with Air Transat ..will not fly with them again if we have to fly with their enerjet or canjet...

I look forward to hearing how you like the resort and area... Remember this is not a 5 star resort and that the area is probably not like any place in mexico where you have been... Just Relax and enjoy .. :)

Winnipeg, Manitoba...
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Loved Manzanillo and Tesoro

Manzanillo is so laid back. That is what we loved about it. Catch a bus marked Centro to get to the downtown waterfront where the boardwalk is. Some of the Centro buses take a different route, and give you a nice tour of some of the neighbourhoods. Very fun and safe to walk around the Main Street out in front of the hotels, and walk to the playa miramar beach. Or take a bus for cheap.

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo