We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Marbella in Manzanillo - any advice?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Marbella in Manzanillo - any advice?

Hello, We are going with some friends to the Marbella Hotel (not even sure if that is the correct name, although the Marbella part is right, lol). They picked the hotel, none of us have stayed there, and I am not even sure how they came up with that hotel. I have read some reviews, but they are all over the place. Has anyone ever stayed there, and if so, what are the pros and cons? Are there any oceanFRONT rooms? What about the all inclusive feature. Is the food worth it? We want to do some deep sea fishing while there, so any information on that would also be helpful. (Boat to use etc). What else is there to do there? Thank you so much!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Marbella in Manzanillo - any advice?

The Marbella is nicely located on a busy part of Manzanillo Bay. It's within walking distance to lots of restaurants and shopping and whatnot. The rooms are clean and basic; there's nothing fancy about Marbella except its restaurant and its location.

It has an absolutely excellent restaurant attached to it, called El Marinero, and a fairly nice pool. There are oceanfront rooms available; their rooms are designated as either oceanview or boulevard view; the boulevard view is exactly that; a view of a busy street, but the oceanview ones do look out across the bay, and the view is quite lovely.

You probably shouldn't swim in the ocean on that section of the beach; there is a wicked riptide right at the shoreline because the dropoff is very steep, but if you walk south down the beach, I'm told you can get to an area where it's safe to swim. It has a pretty nice pool complex overlooking the ocean.

I'm under the impression that El Marinero does all the food for Marbella, including room service; if that's the case, I'd think All Inclusive might be worth it. If you choose to go without AI meals, you'll still be able to find lots of little restaurants in the area, though.

Here's a link to the english version of their website;

www.hotelmarbella.com.mx/english/home.html

They also do have an active Facebook page; they recently posted some food pictures which made me double-check that I have only 93 more sleeps until I can go eat there! :)

There's lots of deep sea fishing available; if you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the phone number of the sea captain my husband uses every year (four years running, two trips per year minimum). The boat is called La Cuquita, and carries a max of 8 people.

The price per hour is 60 US (in total, NOT per person), including drinks on board (one case of Corona beer, sodas and bottle of water) and all fishing equipment.

Edited: 4:00 pm, November 13, 2012
Northern CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Marbella in Manzanillo - any advice?

Wow ChellyBelle, thank you so much! We have stayed on the Baja side numerous times, in a town called Los Barilles, Hotel Playa del Sol. It is very basic, but clean, and that is all we ask. We are not fancy people by any means, but cleanliness is at the top of our list! And a friendly staff always helps. It sounds like there are enough places to eat close by, where we shouldn't have to worry about going AI. Oh, another question, do they have a bar on site? I don't see one listed on the website. Now, the only other thing is the date. Our group wants to go down on Feb 13th for 10 days. Is that Spring Break time, or should I even worry about Spring breakers in Manzanillo? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Marbella in Manzanillo - any advice?

By and large, there are fewer spring breakers in Manzanillo than in, say, Puerto Vallarta. We tend to go to Manzanillo between the second week of February and first week of March, and haven't seen anything like spring break in PV. Woo!

There's a bar by the pool, and, I think, one in the lobby. Poolside, they play music in the evenings, and we did see some conga action near the pool, the night we ate at El Marinero. :) None of their AI plans cover alcohol, though, so just know that even if you go AI, you'll be buying your own drinks, or making them in your room and bringing them down in your travel mug. :)

They also serve drinks at all the restaurants up and down the strip, and there are a couple of fun mariachi places a short taxi ride away.

Not sure what the pricing is on the AI meal plans, but I'd honestly consider doing the breakfast plan, if it's less than $10.00 per person per day. Lunch and dinner, we rarely ate on the resort when we were staying at an AI, but it sure is nice not to have to leave the property to get breakfast.

Northern CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Marbella in Manzanillo - any advice?

Thank you ChellyBelle! In looking at some of the Traveler Photos on the Hotel Marbella page, there is one corner room that I would LOVE to stay in. I sure wish people would post their room numbers when they post photos. I guess that is a suggestion I could make on the Trip Advisor forum.

If you think of any great restaurants, or sightseeing we should do, please let me know. Do you suggest a day trip to Colima? Or??? And I will be calling the fishing captain you suggested. We want to go fishing at least 2 or 3 times. We love fishing!

Thanks for all your info and help! 3 more months and we will be there!

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
579 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Marbella in Manzanillo - any advice?

If you have never been before, a day trip to Colima and Comala would be fun for you. How many in your group?

Northern CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Marbella in Manzanillo - any advice?

There will be 10 of us in our group. We are in our 50's and early 60's but active.

7. Re: Hotel Marbella in Manzanillo - any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo