We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ruins ONLY tour, Comala?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ruins ONLY tour, Comala?

we are booked at Tesoro, aug 18-25, and are so very excited!

we would love to do a day/half day tour trip to see the nearby ruins (is this called comala? not sure, sorry), but all the tours we have found include the town of Colima and the historical or coffee part, we are looking for a tour of just the ruins, and lunch or something similar.

any suggestions? thanks!!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ruins ONLY tour, Comala?

Hi there!

Here's a link to a great post about the ruins at El Chanal and La Campana;

…blogspot.ca/2006/11/ruins-of-el-chanal-and-…

The ruins themselves are pretty and interesting, and kind of awesome, but there just isn't enough there to keep people occupied over the course of a whole day. My husband and I did the Colima tour, and really enjoyed it; Colima is a beautiful little city, and the drive there and back is actually pretty scenic.

If you're really not interested in Colima, though, don't hesitate to contact any of the local tour companies (we always use Tlaloc, but there's also Adventure, Lujo and Dani tours, as well) and tell them exactly what you want; someone who really knows the ruins. The nice thing about booking a tour that way is that generally you end up on your own in a nice, air-conditioned Suburban, which makes for a very comfortable tour.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ruins ONLY tour, Comala?

Thank you, that exact blog post is what got us interested in the idea! Thanks for the tour company info, and letting me know that the ruins themselves aren't enough to fill a full day.

It's so hard to find any good CURRENT info on much related to Manzanillo, so reading this forum and having people reply that know what they're talking about is awesome!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ruins ONLY tour, Comala?

No worries - this forum is fairly quiet at this time of year, but we're lucky enough to have some participants that either live down there full time, or own property down there; one or two of them may still chime in with a little more information!

Manzanillo, Mexico
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ruins ONLY tour, Comala?

Sparks is a good guy and still lives and tours around this area. I think it would be an enjoyable tour. You'll be here during the "rainy" season where everything is blooming and growing. It's lush and green this time of the year as opposed to brown and stagnant during the winter months.

I would suggest contacting Admire Mexico Tours at http://www.admiremexicotours.com/index.php They operate out of Colima and know that area better than anyone. They can pick you up at the bus depot in Colima. They may have other transportation options as well. The first class buses run often between Manzanillo and Colima and they are very comfortable and air conditioned. It's about $130 pesos per person each way on the bus but the toll on the road itself is $113 each way so you actually don't pay much more.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ruins ONLY tour, Comala?

thanks FaolanMX! i appreciate the info.

as far as getting from Tesoro (our hotel) to the first class busses (bus station?) would we take a taxi?

i did send an email to admire mexico tours, but we are unsure of the date we would like to take the tour, so i'm not sure how that would work, in other parts of mexico we normally just book a tour thru the hotel and we've never researched tour companys beforehand.

thanks!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ruins ONLY tour, Comala?

FaolanMX is right on again and Sparks is a personal friend who is completely trustworthy in his blog comments.

Jupiter at AdmireMexicoTours.com is also a personal friend and someone I worked with for years with nary a complaint from anyone I ever sent to him. Contact Jupiter and book a ruins only tour with him. Jupiter is THE expert on Colima and area because he is from there. Jupiter has his SECTUR certification as a guide; he and I (along with Dani from Dani tours in Manzanillo and others) all took and graduated from the SECTUR certified guide course together at the University of Colima and Jupiter was top of the class with his knowledge of Colima/Comala.

Take a taxi to the bus station and then take a first class bus - the second class buses won't use the toll highway and will take about three times as long to get there - and Jupiter will pick you up. I always sent my people up on the luxury bus line ETN as they have a schedule that gets into Colima about 10:15 am and that timing worked really well for Jupiter to pick up and do the tours before it gets too hot in the afternoon. You'd be looking at probably about 2.5 hours of bus time total and then at least an hour each at the ruins with the explanation and a complete walk through of each site. If you don't care to see downtown Colima and their colonial architecture, parks and gardens I'd still suggest that you have Jupiter run you through Comala, one of the "Pueblos Magicos de Mexico " www.pueblosmexico.com.mx/pueblos_magicos.php "Magical towns of Mexico". Comala is really charming and quite worth seeing and not far from El Chanal.

Edited: 11:39 am, July 13, 2012
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ruins ONLY tour, Comala?

Wonderful Nan, thanks so much for the detailed info!

To clarify, do you mean 2+ hrs round trip on the bus, or one direction from Manzanillo to Colima?

Where can I find a departure schedule for the 1st class bus out of Manzanillo?

Thanks!

8. Re: Ruins ONLY tour, Comala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:09 am, July 15, 2012
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ruins ONLY tour, Comala?

It is roughly an hour and fifteen to an hour and a half each way between Manzanillo and Colima. Jupiter himself gave you the link to the ETN site and the information for the bus I always used to send people up to him. You'll have a great tour!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ruins ONLY tour, Comala?

Seems trip advisor don't like the link to the ETN bus site that Jupiter put up - can't think why since he wasn't promoting himself and he was just answering a question that was asked.

Let's see if they let me post the ETN bus site link...

http://www.etn.com.mx/ I see from the pop up window that you can now buy tickets at OXXO but not in Manzanillo - or at least they are not listed. They seem to have a 10% off deal for buying on line right now too...and their site has always been OK for on-line purchase when I have used it, unlike the Primera Plus site for on-line purchase which I had huge troubles with.

The best bus to take leaves Manzanillo main Central Camionera at 8:45 am and arrives in Colima at 10:10 am. The 9:00 am out of Manzanillo that arrives in Colima at 10:30 am will also work for you.