We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Hadas Resort Questions??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Las Hadas Resort Questions??

We are a group of 11 (adults and teens) heading to Las Hadas next week, and had some questions....

-what is the dress code for the guys in the evenings for dinner?

-what is the current status of buffets and restaurants?

-is it accurate to say not to bring US or CAD $ and only peso's?

-is there a bank machine at the resort and how does that work for canandians?

-how far is the Sat. market @ Santiago. How far is it and what is the best way to get there?

-tipping?

Any other shopping suggestions???

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Hadas Resort Questions??

Not sure about dress code and current status of buffets and restaurants, but I can offer opinions about some of the other things!

It is best not to bring CAD or USD - you may be able to exchange both at the front desk, but you will lose a lot of money on exchange. The Mexican government has made it very difficult for Mexicans to exchange foreign currency, and in some cases, it's illegal for Mexican vendors to accept it at all.

I generally advise folks to go to their bank and buy 1000 pesos to start, which will probably cost between 83 and 85 dollars CDN. At my bank, I have to call them a few days in advance and place my order, and they call me when it's in. I get 400 of it in 20 peso notes, and 300 in 50 peso notes, and the rest in 100 peso notes, that way we have enough to for cab fare and tips and meals right off the bat.

Before you leave Canada, change your ATM pin number to a four digit number if it isn't already; many atms in Mexico don't accept a longer PIN number. Also, make sure you call your bank and let them know you plan to use your bank card in Mexico, or the first time you try to use your card, they may decline the transaction.

Not sure if there's an ATM at Las Hadas; I'll check when we wander by there later today.

The saturday market is 5 minutes away by taxi, and that will cost you about 50 pesos. You can take a bus by walking up to the main street, and it only costs 6 pesos, and will probably take you 20 minutes. For myself, I'd rather pay for taxis than spend my vacation walking to and from bus stops, and waiting for buses, but to each, their own. Also, if you're really hardcore, you can walk, but it's very, very hilly, and will probably take you more than 40 minutes. If you're up for the challenge, go for it.

Tipping is an entirely personal decision; there's no right or wrong amount. We generally left 20 pesos per day for the maid at the Karmina, and another 20 pesos for the person who restocked our fridge. At the pool, we were tipping about 20 pesos per round.

As far as shopping, there are a couple of artist's markets at Playa Miramar, and you can take a bus or taxi from Las Hadas to Plaza Manzanillo, which is a mall. There's a large silver shop in downtown Manzanillo, but it will cost you about 100 pesos each way to go there, and they sell their silver right at the Saturday market, so you can save yourself a trip downtown. If you DO go downtown, see if you can swing by the iguana sanctuary; it's pretty cool.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Hadas Resort Questions??

Which is it have fun or be safe????

Not too worry the weather is fantastic don't miss the snow at all :)

Edited: 10:37 pm, March 02, 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Hadas Resort Questions??

Legaazpi rest is long pants the only other rest is Los delfines shorts and t shirts see fine, no ATM on site exchange rate is good for cdn funds or travellers cheques, only none buffet for breakfast u can eat at legazpi 3 times but there and Los delfines the menu never changes 3 theme nites all at Los delfines.

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Hadas Resort Questions??

Glad to hear the weather is fantastic!! So, the Legazpi is only pants....not even dress shorts and a button up shirt? And you can exchange CAD at hotel desk? Is there food available at the beach or by the pool?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Hadas Resort Questions??

Legazpi is pants for men but ladies well almost anything not shorts is fine the cdn exchange is great at the desk yes food at the beach or pool is not a problem.

Edited: 9:42 am, March 03, 2012
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Hadas Resort Questions??

My opinion.....

It is common for many Americans to have dinner in shorts for dinner,

BUT, we should remember we are in Mexico; and "when in Rome..."

Mexican men virtually NEVER go to dinner in shorts or t shirts.

Why not respect the culture of this wondeful country?

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Hadas Resort Questions??

And thank you to ChellyBelle for all your info :)

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Hadas Resort Questions??

Thanks FUBOB, good to know.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
640 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Hadas Resort Questions??

Mexican men never wear shorts to dinner?

While I agree that if a dress code exists we should abide by it" when in Rome" but not only have I seen the shorts but the dreaded baseball caps as well , can't say I'm a big fan of those at a fancy eatin place :)

Guadalajara, Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Hadas Resort Questions??

Bring your dollars, you can exchange them at Elektra for a much higher exchange rate than you will get elsewhere. You have a limit of 1500.00 US per person, per month. Pay hotels and dinners with Credit Card and have petty in your hotel safe or when you hit town. Dress code is very easy going. Don't walk around looking like you just got off a UFO and you will blend. Shorts, say Beige and a nice shirt will get you past the door and in swing with the rest. The marina has a few nice places, Tosca is great if you decide to leave the Las Hadas areas on a stroll. In all you have Starbuck´s if you get home sick (lol). Good seafood, nice mexican food options. Have fun!

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo