We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day cruise ship visit...ideas of what to do...beach???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
kelowna,bc
Level Contributor
164 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
One day cruise ship visit...ideas of what to do...beach???

Arriving on the Norwegian Star...only have one day...any suggestions on what to do..rather than the typical walk around the town square and market...looking for a nice beach I think to sit on...swim and snorkle and get away from the cruise ship..thanks for any suggestions...

Stillwater, MN
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One day cruise ship visit...ideas of what to do...beach???

bigwhite,

I just got back from Manzanillo last week. My suggestion would be to go to Santiago. It is 20 minute cab ride from the port. The ride should cost $9 or if you feel venturous you could take the bus for 80 pesos. ($.80usd) The beach there is beautiful. The sand and water actually have a gold glitter. There are plenty of little bars on the beach.

Glassguy

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
493 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One day cruise ship visit...ideas of what to do...beach???

Glassguy is right-on.

But the beach is some 4 miles long. My advice would be to go "La Playa a Club Maeva" (the beach by Club Maeva where there is a pedestrian bridge over the highway)

kelowna,bc
Level Contributor
164 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day cruise ship visit...ideas of what to do...beach???

Thanks for the info....I read somewhere that this is a nice beach also...Audencia???there will be 5 in our party so a taxi fare divided by 5 would not me too much....like the bus also...always take it in PV from the cruise ship marina into town..fun and cheap on the collectivos and busses....cold here today.-15 yuk

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day cruise ship visit...ideas of what to do...beach???

Bigwhite:

I just wanted to let you know that all the taxi's we took were very small cars and barely fit 4 people adult. Tight squeeze in the back for 3 people. We recently stayed at the Tesoro manzanillo, it is about a 9.00 cab ride and is on Bahia la Audiencia think that is what it is called. It is public beach on either end of the resort area, you can snorkle a bit around the cove from there or you can get a snorkle trip with Pacifica there it is 35.00 per person about 3 hours and takes you to three different snorkle areas. They supply drinks and equipment including beer. Might be something to think about. Here is a site that might have some more stuff to do..

http://www.gomanzanillo.com/

hope this helps a little

kimipenny...... a neighbor to the south in penticton

5. Re: One day cruise ship visit...ideas of what to do...beach???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:49 pm, February 18, 2006
Minne-snow-ta
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day cruise ship visit...ideas of what to do...beach???

We stayed at Tesoro on Audiencia Beach in January. The snorkeling is quite good right on the beach. Lots of fish by the rocks, and rays in the middle. The sand is very clean with gold sparkly flecks in it (gets hot on the feet!) The hotel allows cruise ship guests to use the facilities; we met people from a cruise out of San Diego on Tuesday the week we stayed.

The beach is small but in a beautiful bay with amazing sunsets.

Hope this helps! ($4 USD cab ride from Santiago).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day cruise ship visit...ideas of what to do...beach???

Hi there,

I would go to Playa de La Audencia as it is good for snorkeling and there are other water sport activities there. You can rent an umbrella with chairs for not too much and even have food and drinks brought to you.

Enjoy!

Katrine

kelowna,bc
Level Contributor
164 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day cruise ship visit...ideas of what to do...beach???

my mind is made up...we will go to Audencia..thnaks all for input...will prob take a taxi as looked at the map of town and ship and main part of town looks fairly far away on the other side of the bay...

Minne-snow-ta
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day cruise ship visit...ideas of what to do...beach???

If your taxi driver speaks good English ask him to take you up to the scenic overlook just outside of entrance to Tesoro (formerly Gran Costa Real) in the the Las Hadas complex. Our driver took us up no extra charge; the view is amazing! He let us take pics. You can see both bays, the peninsula, and all the surrounding resorts including Karmina Palace perched in the mountains.

And do bring a camera as the Bay of Audiencia is so pretty. I also heard there is a restaurant with amazing views esp. at sunset called Le Recif.

Be sure to have sandals as the sand gets very hot after noontime if there are no clouds. There are some vendors at one end of the beach where you can buy t-shirts, get Bo Derek mini-braids, etc. as well as tasty concotions like a Coco Loco served right in the coconut shell.

Have an awesome time!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day cruise ship visit...ideas of what to do...beach???

The restaurant L'Recif is not at this beach area. It is on the Julupuan peninsula, about a $10 taxi ride from the Santiago peninsula. You are right that it is beautiful and the sunset is amazing withe waves crashing on the rocks below.

Katrine

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo