We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Costa Real

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
2 posts
Save Topic
Grand Costa Real

My husband and I will be going to the Grand Costa Real Nov 25th and now are very concerned about the poor reviews of the resort ! Our travel agent suggested this resort and Manzanillo - does anyone have anything good to say - We are easy going and have enjoyed resorts where others have complained in other parts of Mexico as well as the Dominican

Santiago/ New...
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Costa Real

Hi Wlisa,

I have to say that I disagree with the bad posts about Gran Costa Real. It is a wonderful hotel and the staff there is great.

If you have read back a bit in this forum you may have read that my husband works for that hotel and I'm not just saying that it's great because of him. I really do mean it. My family has been coming to this hotel for 7 yrs, before I was married.

You'll have a great time. The nightly shows are great! I've been told by other guests that the activities staff puts on the best shows around.

I'm not saying that the hotel is perfect, they can improve in some areas, but who can't.

The food is good. As long as you don't mind trying new things. Some people are used to always eating the same things and afraid to try something different. But if you decide to come on vacation to another country then you have to be prepared to try new things. Otherwise you should probably stay home. Do you know what I mean? I'm not trying to be rude.

I do have to say when you go upstairs to Maria's for an A la Carte dinner, try the Soup Bahia, it's my favorite, so yummy. I've heard others post comments about it too.

Their are lots of activities to do during the daytime if you are an active group. Otherwise just lay back and enjoy the sun. The time of year that you have chosen is great. The temperature is perfect.

If you have any questions I'm more then happy to answer them for you. Don't stress out about your vacation just be exceited that you are going somewhere warm!!

You'll probably see me and my son at some of the nightly shows, he normally gets up on stage with the staff at the end. (He's only 16 months.)

Jenny

Sleepy Eye...
Level Contributor
207 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Costa Real

I am also going to Gran Costa Real, but in February and I am wondering, is this walking distance to restaurants and shopping from this resort?

Santiago/ New...
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Costa Real

Hi Bibber,

I just wrote you a big reply and then I bumped my couch and it unplugged my computer, so I lost it!!

Here it goes again.

Yes Costa Real is within walking distance to shops and some restaurants. If you walk back out to the main road, (5mins) and then turn left you'll be heading towards the town of "Santiago". It's about a 10-15min walk. In Santiago there are little authentic restaurants along the main strip. A good one in Santiago a bit further down is called "Juanito's", the male owner is American and the female is mexican. They have been open for like 20 yrs. Good food. And their are lots of little shops for you to shop at. Don't be afraid to head into the town, the best shops are inside. Don't just stay on the main road. It's perfectly safe. Their is a great shop called Primavera, where you can get great arts & crafts, pottery and lots more. My family and friends always shop there. On saturdays their is a huge flea market that blocks off some of the roads.

If you leave the hotel and head back to the main road and turn right, you'll be heading towards the town of "Salagua". Their aren't to many shops there. And also the "mall" is that way. It's main store is the grocery store called Commercial Mexicana. Their are a few shops in the mall too. The best exchange rate is in the mall, at a little money exchange shop. My Mom was down here last month and we exchanged her money for almost 2 pesos more then at the hotel. So do it over there.

If you want to go downtown you'll have to take a cab.

As for restaurants, at the main intersection you'll see a little restaurant on the corner called, "El Chipotle", I've never ate there but I've heard good things. The other popular restaurants are past the mall so you'll probably want to take a cab to them.

Hope that helps!

Jenny

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
489 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Costa Real

In addition to Jenny's advice, I'd reccommend walking to Las Hadas (a scenic 10 minute walk over a big hill) for good food and ambience, but $$$. Next door is the Dolphin Cove Inn with a nice restaurant overlooking the bay, $. The above mentioned El Chipoltle has great food and fair prices. Do have their guacamole and chips. On a hot day, you may want to consider paying about $5 (50 pesos) for a taxi to Santiago (1.5 miles from the Real).

Also, consider taking a taxi to La Toscana for dining by the ocean.

Regina
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Costa Real

I stayed at the Gran Costa last December 29 to January 5. I am 43 and I took my nephews - ages 20 and 17. We had a GREAT time. And there is nothing wrong with the hotel. I have been on about 40 "beach" vacations, so I think I know of what I speak. Manzanillo has now become my new favourite Mexican spot, and I am heading back there again for New Years. (This time it's a niece holiday!) Two of my co-workers are also repeat visitors to that hotel. Anyone who has complaints about the hotel should get their head out of the sand.

Have a wonderful time.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Costa Real

dmcc: I was so glad to read your post. We are going to this property on Jan 14 - 28. Frankly I was getting a little worried with some of the negative stuff. We are not fussy though so I figured it would be ok. Is there anything about the hotel that you would recommend, knowing it. Like the best room to request that kind of thing. Also how are the beds we stayed in PV last year and the beds were really hard but I was so exhausted everynight it wasn't a real bother. Ok anything you have to share would be great.....thank you in advance much appreciated

kiminpenny

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo