We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Playa Azul, Michoacan like?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
victoria, bc, canada
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
What is Playa Azul, Michoacan like?

Smallish Mexican beach town. Gets busy with Mexican nationals during Christmas, Easter and July and August. It's not fancy, has some mediocre hotels/motels. Anyone can use the Hotel Playa Azul pool and waterslides. Costs about 15 pesos for the day. Good backpacker destination.The attraction here is the long stretch of golden beach with spectacular sunsets. There are some good beachside restaurants and very little nightlife. But all in all is a sleepy town with very friendly people. The nearest town is Lazaro Cardenas, about 20 minutes away. From there you can catch first class buses to anywhere. There are combi vans running continuously throughout the day to Lazaro Cardenas. There is one ATM machine in Playa Azul, in the centre of town near the beach. This is new.There are lots of Federales in trucks keeping up the appearance of security/fighting the drug war which is rampant everywhere in Mexico right now.There are very few stray dogs and an effort is made to keep things clean.Fresh fish comes in daily on the little fishing boats.I wouldn't swim in the ocean. My son stepped on a ray and apparently there are lots of them and you can't see through the water. Also lots of undertows and rip tides. However that doesn't stop the surfing crowd.This is small beachtown Mexico, not a gringo tourist destination. That is what I like best about it.There is RV accomodation, too.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Playa Azul, Michoacan like?

I'm getting back to this one a little late... It's great to hear about some of these more out-of-the-way places in Mexico. We were at Playa Azul for a couple of laid-back days last November and I agree with the poster - it's not a Gringo beach but plenty of friendly people, low prices, good food, pleasant ambience.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Playa Azul, Michoacan like?

I used to go down to Playa Azul every November for a few days break. The first time I went there it was 1998 and I went every year for about five or six years after that but I have not been lately. I like the beach to walk on and going there to watch the surfers in the late afternoon and catch the sunset is also fun but I mainly went there to get away from everything and lie around the pool deck at the hotel Playa Azul and read. When I stayed there the pool and courtyard around the hotel were for guests only while the water slides at the back of the hotel were for anyone. They also had a nice shady deck/room at the back of the hotel near the RV parking with a ping pong table where we'd while away an hour or so each day. Their rooms were OK, clean but not fancy and they had good parking. I stopped going down there entirely because I got sick and tired of all of the military check points on highway 200. My last trip there were four between Tecoman and Playa Azul. One or even two I have the patience to put up with but four was over the top and I decided enough already. Nice to hear that they now have an ATM in Playa Azul. Used to have to stock up with money in Tecoman or Manzanillo or drive into Lazaro.

3. Re: What is Playa Azul, Michoacan like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 21, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo