We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive From Huatulco to Puerto Escondido

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ottawa
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Drive From Huatulco to Puerto Escondido

We will be travelling to the Gala at the end of Feb and are interested in driving or taking a taxi to Puerto Escondido. We were in Huatulco a couple of years ago and I vaguely remember the drive is ~1.5 hours. Can anyone tell me if that is accurate? Also, if there are suggestions for the trip they would be appreciated.

Thanks

Huatulco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Huatulco
Level Contributor
974 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive From Huatulco to Puerto Escondido

Hi Dutcher,

The trip is indeed 1.5 to 2 hours. One tip: beware of "topes"!

Roberto

www.hurricanedivers.com

Ottawa
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive From Huatulco to Puerto Escondido

Hi Roberto, thanks for the reply.

What are "topes"?

Also, I went diving with Carlos (at Barcelo) last time I was there.

I think I read that he is working at Hurricane divers now, is that true?

Dutchster

Tsawwassen
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive From Huatulco to Puerto Escondido

have you ever wondered what a road would look like if it was built by following a rabbit being chaced by a dog? HWY 200 would be a good example. Topes are the ubiquitous "speed bumps". Windy, up and down road. Good pavement though and some pretty scenery along the way - but it isn't a highway like I am used to - more like a paved logging road.

Monroe, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
493 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive From Huatulco to Puerto Escondido

Dutchster, Drop our friend Carlos Cruz an email. He owns MKtravel and drove my husband to Puerto Escondido for the fishing tournament in November. He has been a friend of ours for 14 years. He worked at the Barcelo(formerly the Sheraton) and then for Magnicharters which also had a desk at the Barcelo. Not only can Carlso speak excellent English if that is helpful but he has a wonderful since of humor and will show you a wonderful day. We hired him to take us on a tour last January and we are still talking about it. He also will pick people up at the airport and will take them on any other kind of tour at your request.

His email is mktravel-mx@hotmail.com

Tell him his friends Dale and Mary from Wisconsin sent you.

Enjoy!!!

Tsawwassen
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive From Huatulco to Puerto Escondido

Dale and Mary from Wisconsin , Jesus speaks highly of you and your fishing abilities!

Huatulco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Huatulco
Level Contributor
974 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive From Huatulco to Puerto Escondido

Hi Dutchster,

Carlos (or Charlie) is indeed working with us (Hurricane Divers), on a free-lance basis.

Roberto

www.hurricanedivers.com

Ottawa
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive From Huatulco to Puerto Escondido

Thanks Dale and Mary, I have emailed your friend.

Roberto, I will see you in Feb to do some diving.

When I went diving last time it was very convienient, we left from beach in front of Gala/Barcelo. Is this still an option?

Dutchster

Huatulco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Huatulco
Level Contributor
974 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive From Huatulco to Puerto Escondido

Sorry Dutchster, you'll need to take a 5 minute/$3 USD taxi ride to our dive center....

Roberto

9. Re: Drive From Huatulco to Puerto Escondido

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics