We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Observations of Huatulco and the Gala Hotel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
British Columbia
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Topic
Observations of Huatulco and the Gala Hotel

Snorkelk asked for a trip review and I really wouldn't have much to add to the reviews already in place, so thought I would just put a quick post here.

Although the Gala hotel didn't have the immediate "WOW" factor that other resorts have had on us, we were very happy with the hotel and fell in love with the area of Huatulco. We upgraded to the Royal Club when we got there and the view from our room was worth it alone!

Fabulous service at the bars, beach, restaurants and front desk. That is one thing that I love about smaller resorts - you get to know the staff and they remember you!

Loved the Italian restaurant the most and never had trouble getting a reservation at any of the ala carte restaurants. My husband and I aren't really buffet fans, so we loved that there was no restriction on the amount of times you could eat at the ala cartes.

Definitely do the tour of the bays - the scenery is amazing!!!

We went out for dinner one night, to the restaurant just outside the hotel - Don Porfirio - AMAZING!! Fabulous service, great food, and reasonable prices...

On our last full day, we hired a taxi for an hour, for $12, and he took us to many of the beautiful, scenic spots in the area - we were fortunate in that he spoke very good English, so he was like a tour guide, who was able to provide us with some of the history of the area. We were so thrilled, that we tipped him as much as the cost of the cab and he was over the moon - it was definitely money well spent!

Would we go back to Huatulco and the Gala Resort - you betcha!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
295 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Observations of Huatulco and the Gala Hotel

Thanks Okanagan Girl and others for the advice about the upgrade. We will see what room we get when we get there and then decide if we want the upgrade. Wow, less than 2 weeks until we leave. Can't wait.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Observations of Huatulco and the Gala Hotel

I will also be at the Gala (26 Jan - 2 Feb). I look forward to meeting some of you.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Observations of Huatulco and the Gala Hotel

My wife and I just returned from the Gala on friday (Dec 22 - Jan 5)

and were in the Royal Club.

For the most part we really enjoyed ourselves, but , we were quite upset with the amount of children that were there . I heard it was because it was Christmas and other times there is not that many kids.

When we wanted to relax by the adult only pool in the Royal Club area, kids were constantly coming in and making noise and security only sometimes kicked them out. And forget about the Royal Club lounge on the sxth floor, parents take their kids there too, and take up all the seats.

We only went to the ala carte breakfast only once, what they have there you can get at the buffet and a whole lot more.

The Rolyal Club section of the beach is no big whoop either, you have to reserve a hut by at least 7 am and it really isn't any different then the rest of the beach except it has a rope arount it.

We got a fruit basket but never ate a thing from it, we always had plenty or fruit at the buffets that was fresh and peeled and also cold. (I lke my fruit cold). We also never ate the chocolates the maid left by the pillows when she did the turn down service, I don't know how I would ever have slept with out that turn down service...lol

I would go back to the Gala, but not at Christmas and diffinately not in the Royal Club. I will save a whole lotta money and use it for excursions.

Don

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Observations of Huatulco and the Gala Hotel

Thanks for your mini-review Don: makes me feel better about having booked just a "regular" room. Sorry to hear there were these downsides.

We hope to hear more about the positives from you eventually!?!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Observations of Huatulco and the Gala Hotel

Sorry for sounding so negative. Threre is a lot of positve things to say about the Gala, like the friendly service, the ocean, the weather, the food (not the greatest, but not too bad).

Everybody has different taste, but all I am saying is book the Royal Club only if you want a great view of the ocean from your room, and a shot of Bailys Irish Cream from the Royal Lounge. Other than that, you can enjoy most what the Gala has to offer with a standard room.

Don

16. Re: Observations of Huatulco and the Gala Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics