We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Transat VS Sunwing

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Air Transat VS Sunwing

Going to Huatulco in January or February. Thinking about going on a Friday with AT rather than Tuesday with SW. We have been before , Gala , Barcelo , Dreams , Secrets . Wondering what the difference would be, pricing is close as well as flight times. Flown with Sunwing on Tuesdays from the start [ 1 not so good experience ].. Is there much difference in service , food ? I know Sunwings food is terrible..Please advise ....Thanks s-stuff-55

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Barcelo Huatulco
Barcelo Huatulco
4,487 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Rocoto
$$ - $$$, Seafood
Restaurant Mercader
$$ - $$$, International, Asian, Thai
Mare
$$ - $$$, Italian, Seafood, Mediterranean
ontario
Level Contributor
419 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Transat VS Sunwing

Both are average at best. Take the best flight times or price that works for you

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Transat VS Sunwing

Go for the best price and bring your own food.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Transat VS Sunwing

Personally, I found the AT Airbus much more tolerable than the SW planes.

Food was better too on AT.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Transat VS Sunwing

Thanks - I will probably flip a coin and go from there.......Tks .. S-Stuff - 55

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
925 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Transat VS Sunwing

I would pick AT for the Friday departure. Some of their planes now have individual entertainment systems. AT Club Class is a treat that actually offers perks unlike Sunwings Elite Plus which only gives you more leg room.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Transat VS Sunwing

Advantage AT ... so far....Thanks......Will look at the Club Class.....Done the Elite.. better leg room , service first , still terrble food........Thanks s-stuff-55

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Transat VS Sunwing

I watched air fares last year. On average, especially for VYR departures- Sunwing prices were more competitive - Especially if you had the luxury to wait it out / and you have flexible dates.

We've never had any probs with Sunwing, fingers crossed for any future travel. Our schedules are fluid, so if leaving on a Tuesday rather than a Friday equates to saving a coupla hundred bones, then I'm in!

Airline Ambience -The flight is sooo long, the inflight movie usually ends up being something that I've already watched... Or it's something that is on my " Flicks to Catch" list.. I get excited for a minute, my spirits soar....You know where this is headed...Ends with complete frustration because the audio is so unbelievably crappy.. darn those arm rest doohickeys... can't blame it on my Beats!

Which brings me to food- the flight is long, the movie sucks... what's left to do? Eat... I marvel at how people respond to airline meals. Anxiously waiting, over-brimming with anticipation,darn right giddy with excitement - All secretly hoping that they get chicken cause the just don't get vegetarian... As the food trolley inches forward, I swear I can the folks 3 rows behind me starting to salivate When you think about it, most of us on average last 5-6 hours between meals, at least when we are outside a tin can, flying 40,000 ft in the air.... What's there to do, movie sucks..may as well eat to pass the time...

I love to nosh, I usually forgo the foil wrapped, breakfast ball- o- burrito. Most CDN airports have a Timmies, I'll buy a bagel with cream cheese or a piece of fruit. Staying hydrated is the biggie for me.. I fill my travel mug with water, after clearing security. And licorice... my guilty pleasure.

chicago
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Transat VS Sunwing

Haha Suze that was funny and so true about the in-flight meals. I haven't had an in-flight meal on a plane in years as we don't have charters to Huatulco.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Transat VS Sunwing

LOL Suze! How very true about the food...

as we have been flying AC for a few years, and food is not free, I am always amazed at how many folks pay huge bucks for the menu items...to actually pay for airline food is beyond me!

I carry high fibre protein bars, organic apples and almonds....and as much water as I can handle. just have to remember to pass off the remaining apples to the flight crew when we disembark....got caught with fruit once, very embarrassing.

sorry, I think this thread got high jacked....

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
184 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Transat VS Sunwing

LOL - Lets get back to the original question - AT-vs - SW.....anybody flown both ? Is one better ?...I do understand we need snacks etc on the flights Because of the crappy food...and leave some "Werthers Toffee "for the room attendants..They love it....Also checked AT ..they charge for pre booking seats and not much selection for leg room seats either.................Seems people who have been there keep going back , a good sign.Thanks ......s-stuff-55

Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics