We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers Arriving Tuesday Questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Naperville Il
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Timers Arriving Tuesday Questions

We have stayed in Ixtapa for 15 years and Cozumel 2 years. This is our first time to Huatulco.. I read about walking from the airport to catch a taxi. Is it less than a mile? We are staying at the Park Royal - what would a good fare be and how long of a ride? We would like to go on a few tours - recommendations? We do not want to fish but have gone on day trips on a trimarand.

Looking for a good jewelry shop, pharmacy and best place to buy t-shirts/vanilla. Which town would be the best to visit and if we decide to eat out restaurant recommendations. Read that changing money at the hotel was not bad. Must get some at the airport to pay the taxi driver and for tips until we get to the hotel. Anyone know the dress code for the Italian restaurant at the hotel -- capris ok? Looking forward to our visit -- Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Park Royal Huatulco
Park Royal Huatulco
1,472 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Newmarket, ON
Level Contributor
244 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers Arriving Tuesday Questions

Can help with a couple of things....my friends took a cab from inside the airport, had a big Suburban type thing, and it was $600 pesos. The cheapest vanilla I found was in the Farmacia across from the Barcelo/Dreams....$62.5 pesos for 500 ml, and $120 pesos for a litre. (Florida brand) Not sure what you're looking for in a Farmecia, this one had a fair amount of selection. There were tshirts in a bunch of shops along there, (reasonably priced) and lots in town as well.

Don't know anything about your resort, so can't help there.

I think La Crucecita, being larger, has a larger selection of restaurants as well. There was just a thread, suggesting many good ones, have a look at that thread for some ideas. Even though La Crema was pretty much filled with other tourists, it was definitely worthwhile. I have never seen dough rolled out that thin by hand, or in such a perfect circle! The pizzas were delicious, too.

Enjoy Huatulco, you'll love it! I have been many places around Mexico, and this is my favourite.

Edited: 12:19 pm, March 15, 2015
Mentioned in this post
Barcelo Huatulco
Barcelo Huatulco
4,486 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Florida
Florida
United States
Crucecita
Crucecita
Huatulco, Mexico
La Crema Bar
La Crema Bar
918 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Minnesota
Level Contributor
313 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers Arriving Tuesday Questions

I'd get a panga boat (many available from the marina in Santa Cruz) to take you out on a tour of the bays. Playa San Augustin is especially good....excellent snorkeling and restaurants where you can sink your feet in the sand in the shade of a palapa and eat amazingly fresh seafood! I think you can cab to this beach as well, but am not certain. We took a panga boat with Tino as our guide. It was super fun, and not very expensive (we paid $300 US for a very long day on the water...inclusive of beer, soda and water). I'm sure we could have gotten it cheaper had we wished to bargain, but to me, it was a good value as it was.

Enjoy Huatulco, and bring a LOT of sunscreen. It is very expensive in Huatulco and very much necessary!!!

Mentioned in this post
Playa San Augustin
Playa San Augustin
607 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Boise Idaho
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers Arriving Tuesday Questions

The walk out of the airport to the taxis at the PeMex station is about 1/4 mile or less. Your fare should be about 150 pesos ($10 US).. verify this with the cab driver before you board. The best jewelry store IMHO is Maria Bonito in Santa Cruz. You'll find dozens of t-shirt and vanilla vendors and pharmacies in both Santa Cruz and the larger La Crucecita. There are MANY great restaurants in the area, including a surprising number of excellent Italian places. Look around on this site for recommendations and reviews. Change your money in ATMs using your debit card for the best exchange rates.. and remember, the amounts the ATMs will show you is in pesos, not dollars. If you ask for "300" you'll receive the equivalent of $20 US.

Mentioned in this post
Crucecita
Crucecita
Huatulco, Mexico
Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers Arriving Tuesday Questions

I second the motion to rent your own private panga, most of the captains grew up in the area and it will likely be the highlight of your vacation as it is for me every time.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers Arriving Tuesday Questions

Take a cab into La Crucecita some afternoon, there is a market just before the square opens up, they will have all kinds of souvenirs, vanilla and then visit La Crema for a pizza and a couple of Margs. Santa Cruz is a nice bay side village with all kinds of different shops also, you can spend a day between the two.

Mentioned in this post
Crucecita
Crucecita
Huatulco, Mexico
La Crema Bar
La Crema Bar
918 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Welland, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers Arriving Tuesday Questions

If you do one thing only while you are in Huatulco, I highly recommend you go on a bay tour. The unspoiled beaches you will see not to mention the incredible ocean life will make it an excursion you will never forget. I also recommend that you rent a private panga from one of the locals. I find it's a much more personal experience. We have been booking with a young man for several years and each trip has been unbelievable.

His name is Eduardo Valle Garcia and you can usually find him on the beach between Barcelo & Dreams or you can e-mail him at eduardovalle300@yahoo.com. You won't be disappointed, he will go the extra mile to make sure you are truly happy.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Barcelo Huatulco
Barcelo Huatulco
4,486 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
chicago
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timers Arriving Tuesday Questions

We walk to the road all the time for a taxi, it really isn't that far. We stay at Villablanca, paid 150 peso for a cab to there. Go into town and wander around. La Crema is ok, I like other places better. I think I saw vanilla in a small little grocery type store the other day for 22 pesos. I'm pretty sure I paid a lot more in the stores that are more touristy. We are going out with hurricane divers this week for a bay tour. Today we did a mountain bike tour thru the jungle and ended up at Cacaluta. Awesome! Just make sure you get off the resort sometime, to eat and just experience everything.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Villablanca Huatulco
Hotel Villablanca...
634 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
La Crema Bar
La Crema Bar
918 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Cacaluta
Cacaluta
136 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,603 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timers Arriving Tuesday Questions

The taxi stand is at the airport gate and about 40% of the airport official taxis. I would use one of the two airport ATM's for pesos. Read the top questions on the forum page. More airport info is there. Top Questions don't show on a mobile.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timers Arriving Tuesday Questions

Hi Playamomma,

Which company did you use for your bike tour? How long and price? Can you please give a review of this tour. Sounds interesting. Thanks :)

chicago
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timers Arriving Tuesday Questions

Easy Bikes in La Crucecita on Chacah. Will do a review when we get home. They do 2 tours, one combined with snorkeling, we did the jungle tour. 500 pesos about 3 hours. You do not have to be a super biker. They pick you up at your hotel at 7 am (we negotiated for 7:30, it's so early cuz it would be too hot later). The tour starts in Santa Cruz near the Binniguenda hotel, the start of the national forest. Our guide was Filli, very informative. A lot of stopping to point out different flora and birds (did not see any animals, thankfully). He brings binoculars. We saw a hawk and some wild chickens. Not too hard of a ride except when it gets real sandy. Only a couple downhill runs where i got off my bike (fake knee, don't need to mess that up). My punned up at playa cacaluta, a beautiful unspoiled beach accessible only by that trail or boat. You can swim if you want, you have about 45 minutes there. Water, Gatorade and fruit is provided. You go back a shorter way. I think we were done by 11. Highly recommend it and them.

Mentioned in this post
Crucecita
Crucecita
Huatulco, Mexico
Binniguenda All Inclusive
Binniguenda All Inclusive
1,117 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics