We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friend is getting married at Secrets, can I stay at Barcelo?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Edmonton
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Friend is getting married at Secrets, can I stay at Barcelo?

Hello all,

I have a friend who's getting married at Secrets Huatulco, and I'd love to be able to attend, but with my budget, I'd be more comfortable staying at the Barcelo or something similar. How long is the distance to go from the Barcelo to Secrets? Is it safe taking a cab?

Mentioned in this post
Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa
Secrets Huatulco Resort...
4,780 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Barcelo Huatulco
Barcelo Huatulco
4,474 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Friend is getting married at Secrets, can I stay at Barcelo?

5 mins, safe as milk.

Winthrop Harbor, Il.
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friend is getting married at Secrets, can I stay at Barcelo?

50 pesos, no problem.

Edmonton
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friend is getting married at Secrets, can I stay at Barcelo?

Thanks for the info!!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friend is getting married at Secrets, can I stay at Barcelo?

I feel safer in Huatulco than I do in Edmonton.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friend is getting married at Secrets, can I stay at Barcelo?

You have to get a day pass at Secrets. It is around $40 from noon until 5pm or $100 from 5pm until 11pm. If the wedding is late afternoon then you might have to go for an all day pass at around $180. Do not believe you can get a 4 or 5 hour anytime pass. Maybe they make special exceptions for wedding guests.

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friend is getting married at Secrets, can I stay at Barcelo?

The taxi is not a problem at all- safe, inexpensive and close. But you should make sure you will be able to attend the wedding without staying there and keep in mind that you might not be able to attend and pre or post wedding activities at Secrets.

I'm in a similar situation. My stepdaughter is getting married at an expensive resort near Playa del Carmen. My compromise is spending 3 days at the resort and the rest of the week at a much more budget friendly hotel. Can you do something like that? There are some great inexpensive places in Huatulco- you could probably stay 3 or 4 nights in Santa Cruz or La Crucecita for the same or less than one night at Secrets.

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Crucecita
Crucecita
Huatulco, Mexico
victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friend is getting married at Secrets, can I stay at Barcelo?

On a previous visit a few years ago we met 3 couples from Vancouver, they decided last minute to come to Huatulco for two weeks rather than one. One of the couples daughter was getting married at Dreams, week 2. This fun gang of folks split their stay, 1st week at Villa Blanca, second week with family / wedding crew at Dreams. They had never been to Huatulco, and were keen on having fun! We all had a blast... We took them to different beaches everyday....shared great meals at favourite nosh spots in La Crucecita. Introduced them to the area that we so love.

We were on the same flight home, caught up with them at the airport.. Hands down they loved week one over two, and promised that they would return. They were awed at the beauty of the area, only seconded by how friendly the local folks are.

If cost is a factor, I'd suggest looking at staying at Villa Blanca or Castillo, I've stayed at both.. Both are available as a charter package from Canada. Both are safe, oh so friendly and bang on for budget... There is so much to see and do off resort.

Suze

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Crucecita
Crucecita
Huatulco, Mexico
8. Re: Friend is getting married at Secrets, can I stay at Barcelo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 27, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics