We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it too hot to visit in early mid May..

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,942 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Is it too hot to visit in early mid May..

Just read a thread about it being hot in Feb.. and since I am looking for a visit for somewhere mid early May,, wondering if it may just too hot for us..

I find anything over 85-90 just too hot, .. well could handle 85 near water,. but over 90.. I would likely just melt .. I am not used to extreme heat.. where I live a heat wave is over 80 ,,lol and over 75 is hot enough

chicago
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it too hot to visit in early mid May..

I have been in mid-June, I don't feel like it was any hotter than when we go in March but definitely more humid which makes it feel that much hotter. I couldn't even wear shorts, could only wear dresses. By the water it wasn't so bad and you could always dip in.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it too hot to visit in early mid May..

"....I find anything over 85-90 just too hot...."

Yup, without air conditioning it may be too hot for you. That said, we love saunas.

CH

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it too hot to visit in early mid May..

joan1, FWIW here is something from USA Today:

The year-round temperature average for Huatulco is 86 degrees F. The period from April through August sees the highest temperatures, which hover in the low 90s

Hope that helps.

Se diviertan!

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,942 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it too hot to visit in early mid May..

Thanks.. we shall see.. I love the water and can always take a dip.. but its the evenings.. I notice a lot of places have open air restaurants with no ac,, that could be the tough part.

chicago
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it too hot to visit in early mid May..

Terra Cotta and Kristal Rose are air conditioned. Which is funny because that is the one reason why I won't eat at those places, I don't want to eat inside in the air. Honestly, the only time at night that I feel like I am overheating is when I am shopping in the market. I don't ever remember being overly hot during dinner eating outside. Eat at one of the many beach restaurants in Santa Cruz, you will catch the breeze off the ocean.

Mentioned in this post
Terra-Cotta
Terra-Cotta
1,327 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,942 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it too hot to visit in early mid May..

thanks playamomma.. but you come from Chicago.. where average summer temps( july and august) apparently are 80-85, I come from Victoria BC.. average summer ( july and august) highs are 70-75.. lol .. so you can see that I would likely melt in Chicago too!

I like ac,, don't have it here,, but get it whenever we go anywhere hotter then here.. ( which apparently is everywhere except Alaska, lol )

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
chicago
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it too hot to visit in early mid May..

Is it an option for you to come earlier? It is still warm now but not a lot humidity. For me, it was the humidity that was the killer, not the heat.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,942 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it too hot to visit in early mid May..

I wish.. we have been to mexico ( riveria Mayan) twice in last week of November and heat was fine then.. hot days. but cooled a bit at night.. but this is our honeymoon.. so no,, has to be after May 9th!

May have to look at Hawaii.. its warm then too.. but breezes are good and Hawaii is never too sweltering for me.. not sure why..

chicago
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it too hot to visit in early mid May..

Congrats are in order then. Hawaii is nice, but Huatulco is better! There are breezes, I don't think you would swelter.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,942 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it too hot to visit in early mid May..

Thanks playamomma, I do enjoy Mexico so will continue search!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics