We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best AI resort for wedding?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Grande Prairie...
12 posts
Save Topic
best AI resort for wedding?

Hello, my fiancé and I are looking at places to have a destination wedding and after looking around I think we have decided that Huatulco would be a fantastic place. We love mexico but have never been to the Pacific side so this will be new to both of us. Just wondering if anybody has suggestions as to which AI resort might be the best to host our wedding in at the end of november. Our group will probably be 20 to 30 people. Any other wedding tips for this area would also be very appreciated. Thanks

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best AI resort for wedding?

If the cost is OK, and you warn your guests about the vacation club salespeople, then Secrets would be a good resort. They seem to do weddings almost every day, from just a few to about 80 at the largest we saw. Check out my review of the resort at the link below and look at the photographs (you need to click on one and then scroll through them). There is one photo with the title of "Oceana Restaurant..." On the top of the building is one area that is used for groups of about 20 or so. At the end of the windows and outdoor tables which is the Oceana, you can see a small section of stairs that takes you up to the roof, and wedding area. You can't see it in the photo but there is also an area on sand between this restaurant and the ocean up at this level, which is used for the ceremony. Or some do the ceremony on the beach.

tripadvisor.ca/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

A less costly option would be Las Brisas. They have a nice area which is called the hidden beach, behind the Mexican restaurant which is used. Very nice outdoor area.

One thing to keep in mind is sunset time and opportunity for photographs. The sunset can be spectacular, but short. And the beautiful view goes to black very quickly.

The one thing you can count on in Huatulco is great weather and virtually zero risk of rain if you stick to the prime winter season. That said the day of the large wedding when we were there, a significant fog rolled in from the ocean. I think they may have gotten a few foggy pics. See the one picture I have of the fog on the beach, which was mid afternoon. But, risk of fog is still pretty low.

Edited: 7:09 pm, January 07, 2014
Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best AI resort for wedding?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150789-i740-k1747…

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best AI resort for wedding?

Huatulco would be a magical place to get married. The weather is bang on..

Most trips we stay non AI, I did however stay at Dreams for one week, late November, two years ago. During that week there were 4 weddings that took place on the beach... All went off without a hitch, all very well orchestrated by the hotels wedding co-ordinator . Dreams is Family Friendly, and would be lower in cost that Secrets. I realize that a lot of consideration goes into planning such an event.. Especially asking guests to come for one week, which can eat up some folks 3 week annual holiday allotment, let alone annual holiday budget .. and the cost, another huge factor for those that want to attend. If your heart is set on a destination wedding I'd plan the event on the shoulder season.. prices will be lower.

On our last trip in early January we met 4 couples that were down for a wedding, One of the couples were the Parents of the Bride.. They opted last minute to come for 2 weeks because the price was so low.. They stayed non AI at Villa Blanca, where we were.. then moved over to Dreams for the second week. We had a gas the 1st week, we toured around both towns, hit a new beach everyday.. I showed off the Huatulco that I love, non AI !!.... At the airport I caught up with them.. they said that they liked Dreams , but loved staying non AI...and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Edited: 10:17 pm, January 07, 2014
Grande Prairie...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best AI resort for wedding?

Thanks Ron, that was all very helpful info. I think Las Brisas might be the better option for us so that we can keep costs down for our guests. It still looks like fantastic resort, even if the food is not as great as others. Just wasn't sure if there was nice spots that were somewhat private to have a ceremony.

The only other question I would have relating to Las Brisas is weather the pool space is adequate or if it gets crowded pretty quick and weather there is a swim up bar (not that this will affect the decision of which resort to use)

Grande Prairie...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best AI resort for wedding?

Thanks Ron, that was all very helpful info. I think Las Brisas might be the better option for us so that we can keep costs down for our guests. It still looks like fantastic resort, even if the food is not as great as others. Just wasn't sure if there was nice spots that were somewhat private to have a ceremony.

The only other question I would have relating to Las Brisas is weather the pool space is adequate or if it gets crowded pretty quick and weather there is a swim up bar (not that this will affect the decision of which resort to use)

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best AI resort for wedding?

I have only been to one AI wedding (I'm biased since the thought of an AI for a cultural vacation makes me cringe), at Las Brisas Huatulco about 3 years ago. The wedding was exquisite, perhaps due to the skill of the planner / consultant, but the food was an embarrassment, in particular since the groom was a Mexican chef working in Toronto, I felt bad for him, since I assume he was at least interested in showcasing his nation's cuisine if not the gastronomic greatness of Oaxaca, to both Mexican and Canadian invitees. Keeping costs down for guests is fine, but those who have destination weddings in Mexico I would think are at least partially interested in showing off why the love affair with the resort, and I would hope the food is part of it. One idea is for the hosts to supplement the cost for their guests, if for nothing else than to upgrade the food so guests have a smattering of quality Oaxacan fare at the wedding (i.e. a mole chichilo, sopa de guias, mamey ice cream, an appetizer plate with the usual suspects [chicharrón, quesillo, queso, cacahuates, chapulines] ... and a bottle of quality, smooth mezcal on each table aside from whatever drinks are served. Las Brisas, because of the ambiance outside by the ocean, could be a wonderful venue, but the food needs to be fixed.

Alvin Starkman - www.oaxacaculinarytours.com

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best AI resort for wedding?

"The only other question I would have relating to Las Brisas is weather the pool space is adequate or if it gets crowded pretty quick and weather there is a swim up bar (not that this will affect the decision of which resort to use)"

The pool at Las Brisas is not that large and does not have a true swim up bar. However the main pool is right in front of the main bar which has the best selection of drinks and is only a few steps away. Two of the beaches are very swimmable at Las Brisas, and for that reason the pool does not get over crowded in our experience. Most prefer the beach. Drink service is provided to the loungers on the beach. There is also a separate deeper adult pool, and a sports pool.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,996 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best AI resort for wedding?

Don't make the decision on price. Once you decide on the venue it is time to negotiate. I have seen Secrets offered below others in November.

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
641 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best AI resort for wedding?

I agree don't make your decision on the Price. You only get married once! Or at least that is the norm? Or maybe not!...lol

Anyway our Daughter got married at DREAMS in Feb 2012 and it was fabulous from beginning to end! She had under 25 people and it was under $5,000.00 total. I think that even covered the off resort FANTASTIC photographer we hired.....The Wedding Planner's name is Pilar and she is perfect and patient and very kind. My Daughter said she has no regrets about getting married at DREAMS and if she could she wouldn't change a thing. PM me if you want more details.

chicago
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best AI resort for wedding?

That's a great price! My daughter loves Huatulco and while there are no wedding plans in the future, I sure hope that is something she would decide to do.