We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Fare and Insect Repellant

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Mississauga
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Topic
Taxi Fare and Insect Repellant

Would anyone know what a taxi costs from Secrets to La Cruceita? Would I give a tip and how much?

Can anyone recommend a good insect repellant?

Thank you.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Fare and Insect Repellant

The taxi will about 70 pesos 1 way

Anything with Deet in it works

My wife is allergic to the no seeums here in Huatulco has tried all and has finally settled on deep wood off or anything that has a high deet content

Yes she is concerned about chemicals but the bites from these little buggers swell up on her horrible

Wayne Overby

Villa Sol y Mar

(House of the Sun & Sea)

Monroe, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Fare and Insect Repellant

Mix pure vanilla and water in a spray bottle, works wonders!!! And smells much better!

Mississauga
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Fare and Insect Repellant

Thank you so much.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Fare and Insect Repellant

What a good idea! Thank you.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Fare and Insect Repellant

Taxi tips are included in the quoted price. 70 is reasonable. Last season was 60 pesos (or if you had USD it was $6 which is a 25% currency add-on).

Alberta
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Fare and Insect Repellant

For insects you probably won't see many mosquitos, but it is best to be safe. And they do have sand flies (no seeums) and if you react to those, it can ruin your vacation.

Deet is the best, and perhaps only effective repellant. The higher the % the better, but in Canada I believe it is regulated now to a max of 30%. If you can get to the US I believe they have stuff that still goes up to 95%, and that is obviously better. In general at resorts they will have weak stuff which is expensive so best to get it before you go, even if you have to settle for 30%. The cream type is said to be longer lasting than the spray on.

If you do react to bites then be sure to bring an antihistamine that works for you. Can be hard to find and expensive, especially at the resort.

On taxis always ask for the price before you get it. It is part of the negotiation ritual. If they ask for too much try another taxi, especially if you are in La Crucecita.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Fare and Insect Repellant

Thank you ... Good to know about the tip.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
249 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Fare and Insect Repellant

Thanks for all the info ... Hopefully will pick up Deet in the states.

montreal
Level Contributor
534 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Fare and Insect Repellant

when i was there last week ( 2-9th ) it was 38 pesos....as a matter fact just about every taxi we took was 38 pesos no matter where we went.....ecluding airport rides which were about 130 pesos......maybe as it gets more crowded during the winter season it goes up...

>>>ronaka....the reason canada has set a limit of DEET is for health reason's.....we only saw 1 mosquito(and it bit me )....it is getting dry there, so they might not be so bad now.....IMO...

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Fare and Insect Repellant

Joe: 38 from Secrets? They were consistent each way at 60 pesos for me. Regarding bugs: I've visited in Nov, Dec and Jan without bug issues.