We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping in which currency?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
port perry, Ontario
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
tipping in which currency?

We are off to Las Brisas for the March break and everyone has mentioned that it's a good idea to tip the wait staff but should I bring American dollars or Mexican currency? Thanks!

ottawa ON
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping in which currency?

I'm not sure about this area but in alcapulco you can just use your canadian currency and they'll take it, but i'm not sure about HC.

I think i'll bring down canadian currency and exchange down there for peso cause why pay the extra cost to change it to american then to peco again from CA.

hope this helps.

the greenback is not the only shitty money around and anyhow the mexicans are colourful people show they should love our funny coloured money too, LOL.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping in which currency?

Pesos, defnitely. You're from Ontario (like we are). Check out the Puerto Vallarta forum for a very definite answer to this questions. It's called "Pesos!" (back a couple of days).

Pickering Ontario
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping in which currency?

We are just back from Huatulco - stayed at the Gala. We only took Mexican Pesos with us and used those to tip with and to deal with the vendors in town and on the beach. I think you do better dealing in Pesos. We tipped the wait staff for their kind and prompt service.

Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics