We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huatulco to Puerto Escondido Transportation

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Diego...
4 posts
Save Topic
Huatulco to Puerto Escondido Transportation

I'm flying to Hutulco and need to go to Puerto Esondido. What sort of transportation is available between the two towns? Are the airport taxi's the best option? What about collectivos? How much should I budget?

Thanks!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Huatulco to Puerto Escondido Transportation

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g153373-i1167-k2254… info is a little dated but things haven't changed much..read this thread and you should be good to go.

Edited: 7:42 pm, June 08, 2013
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Huatulco to Puerto Escondido Transportation

That's a good thread. As far as taxis: Mexican airports have official airport taxis. They are air conditioned and have set rates to each destination. The rate is always higher than the local taxi rates, often twice as much. Most airports have local taxis hovering around the airport property entrance where you can negotiate a favourable rate. Some airports like Ixtapa/Zia have made it difficult to get a local taxi, although recently they have let up. Huatulco airport is easy and the driveway is short. Just down the road is an Oxxo (7-11) store next to the gas station for supplies if your trip is long.

Ponemah, Manitoba
Level Contributor
201 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Huatulco to Puerto Escondido Transportation

Can someone provide some information regarding the Bus from La Crusasita to Puerto Escondido? I know there are three levels of busses (?). Cheap, middle priced and luxury (?). but wanted to know the approx. cost. And where is the bus depot in Puerto? (as we would be on foot for a day trip)

Thanks

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Huatulco to Puerto Escondido Transportation

Check out the options on the ADO site.

http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Huatulco to Puerto Escondido Transportation

I'm also curious about taxis - I've read a few of the forum conversations about catching taxis from HUX to PE, and I realise you need to haggle with the non-airport taxis to get a good price.

However, shamefully my Spanish is almost non-existent so am wondering whether I should go straight to the airport taxi option and swallow the extra cost to get to PE.

In that case, can anyone tell me if it's easy to grt an airport taxi when I arrive? Should/can I pre-book? Do they take cash or card?

Thanks in advance, sorry if my questions have been asked elsewhere.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Huatulco to Puerto Escondido Transportation

Very easy to get an airport taxi. When you leave immigration there is a taxi booth with posted rates just passed the shops. No credit cards. Cash only. Two ATM's to get pesos. The local taxis are worth the effort. It isn't a haggle. You notice the official rate as you walk by and proceed to the gate. Have paper and pencil if you're concerned about your Spanish and make an agreement. All quite simple and fun. Read the top questions on the hux forum to learn more.

Sydney, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Huatulco to Puerto Escondido Transportation

I just wanted to update this post with my experience catching a taxi from HUX to PE.

When we arrived we discovered one of our bags had been left in Mexico City and we were taken into the Aeromexico office to file a report - as a side note the staff were lovely and helpful, but after an hour or so we were exhausted and decided to just go with an official airport taxi rather than wait for a bus.

I suppose because we were so late out of the arrivals gate, there were a lot of taxis sitting around with nothing to do, and when we told the guy at the official taxi booth that we would walk away and catch the bus, they immediately were keen to bargain a better price.

The posted price from HUX to PE was 1570 pesos, and long story short, we got them down to 800 pesos. In hindsight we probably could have gone to as low as 600/700 pesos, so I would say that it's definitely worth trying your luck to haggle a better price even with the official taxis (and with limited Spanish).

Edited: 12:46 am, August 12, 2013
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Huatulco to Puerto Escondido Transportation

Thanks for posting this.

9. Re: Huatulco to Puerto Escondido Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics