We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean strength at hotel beaches?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean strength at hotel beaches?

Hey everyone,

Can anyone recommend if the ocean is swimmable at most hotels (I am aware of Las Brisas having the best reviewed hotel beach for calm/snorkelling direct from the hotel) but are the rest of the properties okay as well? Is there a consensus on which hotels tend to have rougher and some calmer swimming from their beaches? Time of year patterns for better/worse?

What I am also asking is the strength of the ocean in general and the ability to swim comfortably. I see a lot of reviews that say "the ocean is too rough, so no swimming during our stay" and similar. I am not looking for a lake experience, I want waves/surf but I am not looking for the North Shore of Hawaii. I have stayed multiple times at Las Brisas Ixtapa and often they get similar reviews for ocean swimming (too rough) but I have never had an issue swimming there but I do see how some might. So, if I am fine for swimming in most scenarios, is it really as un-swimmable as many reviews indicate at the hotels in Huatulco?

We are also thinking of taking my mother here for her 60th birthday/early retirement next year, so is Las Brisas the most common recommendation for "easy swimming"? Our dilemma is we like the beach options at Las Brisas but the overall "average quality" impression of the hotel might sway us to other options.

Thx.

Mentioned in this post
Las Brisas Huatulco
Las Brisas Huatulco
4,836 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean strength at hotel beaches?

Hi Sandy! As you are probably aware most of the hotels are located in and around Tangolunda Bay. Dreams, Barcelco and the Crown Pacific beach club all share the same stretch of beach, and are open to the ocean...while Las Brisas is on the western shore of the bay and is protected from the open ocean. We used to stay out there and I swam in the ocean every day. Some days are rougher of course, but generally okay to swim. Perhaps Dreams is the better of the three resorts for a more swimmable beach. So, I wouldn't worry about the water, just go and enjoy the area. Of course there are a number of great beaches you can check out that are a quick taxi ride from Tangolunda.

Mentioned in this post
Tangolunda
Tangolunda
454 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Las Brisas Huatulco
Las Brisas Huatulco
4,836 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean strength at hotel beaches?

I see from your forum posts you are familiar with the Pacific side of Mexico and that you have been to PV. I would suggest that HUX is far better than PV for swimming. Having said that it is the Pacific so you should be a good swimmer. People swam daily across Conejillo Bay in front of Secrets.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean strength at hotel beaches?

Thanks speed0 and ed - I thought it might be better than initial impressions, so thanks for reassuring me. We love the ocean and prefer it to the pools at hotels and would plan outside excursions to the various bays for the day as well. We just wanted to make sure the "default" location to swim at the hotel had an easy option for ocean swimming especially for my mother sake!

Also, I am not used to any jellyfish scenarios in previous trips to Mexico but I have seen this mentioned a fair amount in reviews here. Is there a better time of year (we normally go in early December) for less jellies? I know my mother would freak out and not go back in the water again if she was stung...

Very much looking forward to checking out Huatulco next year regardless!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean strength at hotel beaches?

I've only seen jellyfish once in 6 trips to Huatulco at different times of the year. It isn't a common occurance at all. The one time we did encounter them, pretty much all the bays were affected, and they stuck around for maybe 2 days-after that, the water was fine.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,914 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean strength at hotel beaches?

Sandy I know you have stayed in Ixtapa several times....the beach where the AIs are located in Huatulco (Tangolunda) is in a protected bay unlike Playa Palmar in Ixtapa- but not as calm as the beaches in Zihuatanejo Bay. Secrets is on Chahue, there can be rougher surf there, the beach is a bit steep, but there is calm parts to it, too.

Still, conditions can vary there- IMO Tangolunda, Santa Cruz and Chahue were the least attractive swimming beaches in terms of calmness in the Huatulco area -but they are still calmer than Palmar. You can make easy day trips to other much nicer/calmer beaches, like Maguey, Entrega, Violin, Augustin, and others that are only accessible by boat.

I think the Las Brisas would be about the Posada Real in Ixtapa level? Not the greatest....I would go for the Dreams or Secrets over it.

Edited: we never encountered either jellyfish or sea lice in Huatulco...but we did see a virtual invasion of salps one day! Shudder. But they are harmless, non-stinging.

Edited: 3:27 pm, May 23, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Tangolunda
Tangolunda
454 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Zihuatanejo Bay
Zihuatanejo Bay
372 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Chahue
Chahue
191 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Las Brisas Huatulco
Las Brisas Huatulco
4,836 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
269 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean strength at hotel beaches?

Gotta tell ya folks, feeling better about this whole Huatulco place. ;-)

I would normally assume Secrets as a better destination/home base and then definitely take some tours and day trips to the better bays/coves for snorkelling/frolicking. Just wanted to be reassured that the "off days" where we just crash at the hotel and do nothing, that we can still comfortably swim in the ocean as a family. Looks like Huatulco area is top of the list at this point.

Thanks everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean strength at hotel beaches?

Sorry just have to correct something someone else said. Secrets is NOT located in Chahue Bay- Rissask is misinformed there. Secrets is on Conejos Beach in Conejos Bay. It is a gorgeous beach, and very swimmable in my opinion although I have heard to entry into the water directly in front of the resort can be a bit rocky. There is also a really beautiful "bonus beach" just a short walk away where the surf if a bit more active but still fun.

Mentioned in this post
Chahue
Chahue
191 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
Boise Idaho
Level Contributor
866 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean strength at hotel beaches?

Sandy,

don't sweat the jellies... They come & they go, but the kind of jellies in the area are almost always small and harmless (slightly irritating, but not enough to avoid swimming amid them). That said, there are many other beaches that are better for swimming... Maguey, Santa Cruz and La Entrega come to mind. Regardless of where you end up staying, do yourself a favor and get off the reservation and explore this wonderful area.

Mentioned in this post
La Entrega
La Entrega
368 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico
victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean strength at hotel beaches?

On my last two visits ( late November and early January ) there have been small red jellies usually around for 2-3 days. As mentioned above they can be irritating, the sting is mild... not enough to keep me out of the water 'tho. I have no idea if there is a specific time of year when they are more prevalent ..

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,914 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean strength at hotel beaches?

Sorry, not misinformed, just misspoke (miswrote? lol) and wrote the wrong beach name....yes of course, Secrets is in Conejos Bay, not Chahue.

Chahue has condos and beach clubs and nearby hotels but no AIs, and surf there can be fairly rough too, although we did have some decent snorkelling the far right end of the bay along the rocks.

Sandy, you will love it I am sure. It's no Zihua (;)) but it's very nice.

Edited: 9:13 pm, May 23, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Chahue
Chahue
191 Reviews
Huatulco, Mexico