We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
19 reviews
Money exchange?

I have been to many places in Mexico, but this is the first time in Huatulco. I assume there is a casa de cambio in the airport and I'm sure the Dreams resort will make change. My question: are there many casas de cambio in Crucecita? I do not use an ATM card (my preference) and do not like to do business in bancos as it usually takes up too much time. I use most of my pesos for tips so if I exchange money at the resort at a slightly higher cost, no big deal.

Muchas gracias for any information / reply.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
180 reviews
1. Re: Money exchange?

Appears changing at Dreams fits your plan.

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Money exchange?

No cambios at the airport, no cambios in La Crucecita... no cambios in Huatulco, at least there wasn't as of last month when we were last there.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Money exchange?

Hola.

Exchange rates change (at least) daily, so we have found the following Website useful for determining the official government exchange rate for the Mexican peso, especially when choosing a bank or money exchanger at which to convert dollars:

sat.gob.mx/sitio_internet/…

Hotels usually provide the lowest rates, but if you're converting a few hundred dollars, relax; no matter where you convert you'll probably be within plus or minus 130 pesos – about the price of a baseball hat or t-shirt. That said:

1) Debit (ATM) cards will provide established interbank-rates, but depending on the card (and the associated bank) you may be charged fees. We like the bank ATMs in Santa Cruz and La Crucecita (rather than the airport) because they tend to have lower fees and allow the larger withdrawals. We can usually withdraw at least MXN$6000 per day with minimum fees and at the highest available exchange rates.

2) Azteca bank, with offices at Elektra near Chahue, will exchange at fair rates. You may need to bring your passport.

3) Most other banks in Huatulco will not exchange dollars if you do not have an account at their branches. Hotels tend to provide inferior conversion rates.

We always advise our bank about our travel plans and have not had a problem.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Money exchange?

Thanks for all the info, it was very helpful. I only need to convert maybe $300 in USD for tips. I can eat the difference between the hotel and an ATM.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
96 reviews
5. Re: Money exchange?

DonCarlos, make sure you bring nice crisp new bills with you. I recommend smaller domination's than $100's.

We had a number of bills rejected by the front desk at the resort so make sure you have bills with NO tears even microscopic or writing on them. Out of 75 ones we had about 20 rejected, which made us wonder if we gave tips that were useless before we switched to pesos.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
96 reviews
6. Re: Money exchange?

DonCarlos, make sure you bring nice crisp new bills with you. I recommend smaller domination's than $100's.

We had a number of bills rejected by the front desk at the resort so make sure you have bills with NO tears even microscopic or writing on them. Out of 75 ones we had about 20 rejected, which made us wonder if we gave tips that were useless before we switched to pesos.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
180 reviews
7. Re: Money exchange?

They wouldn't be useless, Jenny. Maybe inconvenient. An enterprising local would trade them with an accommodating tourist.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Money exchange?

We agree with Jenny. We have found that crisp new and unmarked bills (denominated USD$50 or lower) are more easily accepted by our Mexican bank when converting them into pesos. Trying to pass off bills (rejected by a bank) to locals might be construed by some as a possible fraud.

CH

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: Money exchange?

Yes I know about the condition of the bills when making a conversion.. I bring 20s and 50s that are absolutly fresh off the press, no marks, no tears. I still have $1200mp left from my last trip to last me the first day or two.

10. Re: Money exchange?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics