We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbacoa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
iowa
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Barbacoa

Where can you get good barbcoa ? Heard about this when looking for BBQ.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbacoa

Try the little restaurant beside Ultra Marinos on Sabali between Bugambelia and Gardinia. They serve chivo tacos.

iowa
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbacoa

Thank you

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbacoa

Well i just drove by and Barbacoa was not listed on the board but they do serve chivo so probably worthwile to stop in.

Boise Idaho
Level Contributor
779 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbacoa

Unless you're a goat.

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbacoa

I am sure there is a corner store or carniceria with a hot food counter that sells barbacoa and carnitas, along with fresh tortillas and fixings so you can make your own tacos. Here at home, that's a perfect Sunday morning for us......... Me - not so much a barbacoa fan, but I do love carnitas!

iowa
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbacoa

Thanks

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
677 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbacoa

Here is a great article by Kathy Taylor about Barbacoa. http://issuu.com/huatulcoeye/docs/april2012

Alfredo

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbacoa

OK, small restaurant, take out, Guamacastle between Carrizal and Bugambelia, beside inet place, across from marcado. Saw Barbacoa on board a few minutes ago. Provecho!!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Barbacoa

I had no idea what you guys were talking about so I looked it up. If this what you are talking about, I think I'll pass.

Definition: "Mexican Barbecue"

The term "barbecue" is used loosely. Barbacoa is not a method of grilling something over an open flame. Traditional Mexican barbacoa is completely different. It essentially steams and smokes the meat at the same time resulting in a moist and flavorful meat.

First, the head of a cow or goat meat is wrapped in maguey or banana leaves.

A cauldron of hot water is placed in a pit about 3 feet deep with hot coals in the bottom. A grill is placed on top of the cauldron and the meat is placed there. Vegetables, beans and spices are sometimes added to the pot for a soup. The pit is then sealed and covered with damp earth.

Traditionally, the type of meat used is from the head of the cow. Lamb or pork is also used.

Nowadays "barbacoa" can refer to meat that is just slow cooked and tender.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barbacoa

Sundays, from 8AM, Los Jarochos, corner of Carrizal and Guarumbo.

Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics