We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Huatulco for me? Solo female

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Everywhere
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Is Huatulco for me? Solo female

Brief rundown. I do alot of traveling alone. The Secrets here is about 600 bucks cheaper for 8 nights then Jamaica. I plan to stay at the resort, go shopping one day in town BUT I am a late night person. So I plan to hit up the few bars in the area at least 2-3 nights. I'm 35, but I like live music at least 3 nights somewhere. Is this more a couples area or am I going to be completely bored here?I'm pretty well traveled but looking for new areas Jamaica never disappoints on the nightlife whenever I cant sleep at night. Appreciate any comments

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Huatulco for me? Solo female

Secrets is pretty sleepy at night. Secrets is a 15minute (60 peso) taxi ride from town where things might be more active but certainly not a nightlife hot spot. If I were looking for nightlife on the west coast I'd head to Puerto Vallarta. The beach won't be as good and most hotels pale compared to Huatulco Secrets, but you can party all night.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Huatulco for me? Solo female

Alegre is right. Huatulco, while lots of partying takes place, there are not many places that regularly have live bands. Regardless of where you wind up be careful of late nite partying alone.

If you are up for non AI check out Puerto Escondido just up the coast. You would still fly into HUX. They have a lot of spots with live entertainment. The annual Jazz festival starts soon and runs over several weeks.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Huatulco for me? Solo female

Huatulco Pedro, such a wealth of info. When exactly does the JF start. We are arriving Feb 02.... We saw David Rotunda last year... I don't see anything for him in 2013..

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Huatulco for me? Solo female

David Rotunda is in Europe and unfortunately will not be at the festival.

Check out the following link for dates. Starts Jan 17 and runs through to Mar 2.

http://www.tomzap.com/escondio.html

Everywhere
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Huatulco for me? Solo female

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Much appreciated.I'm not looking to party just some low key nightlife with music. Alegre I've done Puerto Vallarta several times. I was looking to explore new areas. I'll keep searching...

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Huatulco for me? Solo female

Hola.

We have some very good friends who live in PV and love to visit with them. We especially enjoy their company AND the nightlife, though we chose to purchase our place in Huatulco on Bahia Chahue because it is more quaint: you see we refer to Huatulco as "Mayberry" (from our Andy Griffith days). Further, Huatulco is comprised of 9 bays and 36 beaches and love the swimming/snorkeling and restaurants here much more than PV.

That said, when we feel the need for late night fun in Huatulco, we go to La Papaya, a very hot nightclub owned by Don Wilo and frequented by many of the locals, business people and professionals, as well as visitors looking for some nightlife and dancing. We always have a grand time but at our ages it is best to take an evening nap, get there at midnight….."entonces, bailando sobre las mesas!!"

La Papaya is on Blvd Benito Juarez (sort of) across from the Nissan dealership….when you reach the general area, just follow the music.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
691 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Huatulco for me? Solo female

Pedro:

what would Taxi fare be to & from Puerto Escondido, & especially how hard would it be to ..A) book a hotel room for 1 night, or B) get a cab late @ night back to Secrets?

Alan & Tracy

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Huatulco for me? Solo female

Its abut $80 dollars from the airport so about $100 dollars return from Secrets. You do not want to be on the 200 at night so grab a hotel. You can book most on line. Hotel Swiss is a good option but there are many others. Best to book ahead as the Jazz festival starts on the 17th Jan.

9. Re: Is Huatulco for me? Solo female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics