We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers at Hualulco - our thoughts

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
K M
Regina
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First timers at Hualulco - our thoughts

We spent a week December 2012 at Barcelo via Sunwing. We had only been to P.V. before and were not sure what to expect in Huatulco (hence the 'a few questions on Huatulco' thread).

I reviewed the Barcelo in it's own thread. In a sentence, it was a clean, pleasant resort with a lot of value for the money.

We arrived at the airport to a fairly long line for Mexican customs/immigration. There were a handful of timeshare sharks in their little hallway but nowhere near as aggressive they were in P.V. Once we made it to the bus area, we gladly bought some cold cervezas from a fellow with a cart. He accepted CAN, USD, and pesos.

I expected to be able to use my RBC client card for ABM withdrawals, and had notified RBC that I was going to be using my card in Mexico. I tried the ABM in the airport and it did not work.

At the resort, the ABM there did not work either. I then spent some time on the phone to RBC who said they had no record that my card had ever tried to make a transaction in Mexico. A bit of panic there as we had come with no pesos nor even USD.

We were directed to a ABM outside the staff entrance to Barcelo which worked no problem. Even though all the ABMs displayed the 'Plus' logo, apparently not all are the same.

Taxis were cheap and plentiful. We went to La C several times and enjoyed many meals, cocktails, and shopping. La Crema, Hemingways, Onix, were some of the places we ate at - all excellent. We had great shopping at Museo des Artisanes, and at the silver store across the street (Silver Factory?).

La C was pleasant. The shopkeepers and restaurant hosts stand outside and hustle business but they are friendly and non-pushy in our experience. The square was patrolled by police at night and we never felt uneasy. There was lots to see and do and we only got to a small part of it. We went to the coffee shop across from the resort every day for excellent lattes and for the Wi-fi.

We did a day-long bay tour with scuba diving for two with Hurricane Divers out of Santa Cruz. An excellent outfit and I am glad we did it. Review pending.

The road from Tangolunda to La C had a wide sidewalk and we went for a run one day (the other days we worked out at the resort gym). We ran nearly to the edge of La C and back, about a 45minute run. But hot. OMG the sun was more powerful in Huatulco than anywhere else.

I wore spf50 every day, replenished several times a day, and I am still peeling. The midday sun pounded me into the sand but it was so pleasant (maybe it was the cervezas?) that I didn't mind.

The area on a whole was refreshingly free of Mcdonald's, 7-11, Burger King, and other US and Canadian staples. The people were friendly and kind. We had limited Spanish but tried hard, and so did the local we were trying to communicate with. We experienced our first earthquake, and the first December rain in the area in 12 years.

La C was relaxed enough that we would consider returning and staying non-AC. It was a really great area and we will be back.

ontario
Level Contributor
416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First timers at Hualulco - our thoughts

Sherry J

There are side walks from Barcelo to town, around most of the golf course,or in the opposite directions to Secrets and La Bocona beach. We have walk from Dreams and Barcelo into town, (a long walk) and have never felt unsafe. We have also walked to Secrets and never had a problem.

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: First timers at Hualulco - our thoughts

Another Question K M...How where the allacarts? Mostly I was wondering what the dress code is. Which one did you like the best? How many per week? Thanks again, it is good to know these things in advance.

K M
Regina
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First timers at Hualulco - our thoughts

wallersask - you get I think four reservations at the al la cartes without the Premium Club thing. We ate at the Spanish and the Mexican (twice). They were both very good. The Sushi place did not require reservations when we were there but we never went. The Steak/Seafood place was apparently the hot ticket as we were never able to get a reservation there. Dress for men was long pants and closed toe shoes. I wore chinos, a golf shirt, and shoes, and fit right in. I suggest trying to make your reservations as soon as possible. I would also recommend going into La C and visiting one of the many excellent restaurants.

victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First timers at Hualulco - our thoughts

Sherry_J -

Huatulco is a runners paradise, nothing finer than getting up really early, putting on the kicks and heading out. Always safe, the sidewalks are wide and even,love the hills and the view is spectacular. Hydrate well before going, the humidity sneaks up on you.

Barcelo to LaBocana would a great morning run.

http://www.tomzap.com/map-Huatulco.pdf

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: First timers at Hualulco - our thoughts

Thanks for the info K M I have been doing lots of research and trying to absorb as much as I can. We will be down for two weeks so I am sure we will get out for many meals. There could be more could be more questions.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
601 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First timers at Hualulco - our thoughts

Thanks everyone! Shoes are packed! 2 more sleeps!

17. Re: First timers at Hualulco - our thoughts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics