We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Huatulco still safe (ie., drug cartel issues)?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Mokena, Illinois
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Huatulco still safe (ie., drug cartel issues)?

With everything going on with the drug cartels, is it safe to travel to Huatulco on vacation? Many of the reports talk about the issues with the border cities, but I have als o eard about problems in Oaxaca, which is not very close to the border and is much closer to Huatulco. We plan to go in a large group with ages ranging from 5 months to 65 years old. Please let me know. We plan to stay at Dreams.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Huatulco still safe (ie., drug cartel issues)?

Hola.

With regard to the violence that has been occurring in Mexico, it is worth noting that 95% of it has been in the northern parts of the country, mostly in and near the border towns. That said, we have also heard a smattering of reports about events in some of the tourist areas such as Acapulco. It is also true that world-wide (Europe, Asia, India, Middle East, California, Texas…) there has been an increase in terrorist and violent behaviors….remember that a few years back there were drivers on Florida highways being indiscriminately shot at by snipers?!

We also live in NYC (and have been for 40+ years) and we were there during 9/11 and its aftermath and we still go for our evening strolls to Times Square (where a recent bomb threat occurred) and participate in large community events that (according to the media) may be targeted.

So where are you going to go? We say go to Huatulco where we have never experienced (nor even seen) any violent crime.....mischievous kids and loud arguments between neighbors, sure, but hey, you see that everywhere.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, and here are about 50 of them taken about 6 weeks ago at the children’s parade celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the Mexican Revolution; the kids’ smiling faces are testaments to the gentleness that pervades Huatulco in the face of extremism that may exist in other areas of Mexico and the rest of the planet:

huatulcoresidence.com/Huatulco_Revolution_Pa…

All that said, and in no particular order, here are our top ten safety concerns in and around Huatulco:

1) Not drinking enough water on those 85-90 degree days

2) Forgetting how to tie our shoe laces (after not wearing shoes for weeks)

3) Forgetting to turn off the BBQ as we finish one meal and immediately start planning the next

4) Overeating

5) Losing track of the days of the week with the possibility of missing our flights

6) Too much sun

7) Losing our bathing suits in the surf at Chahue

8) Spending too much money on local crafts

9) Falling asleep on the beach with a rising tide

10) Deciding to stay in Huatulco (with all the violence everywhere else in world, who in their right mind would want to leave?)

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX: Tomorrow’s expected highs: 97 degrees F.

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA: Tomorrow’s expected highs: 35 degrees F.

Edited: 5:04 pm, January 02, 2011
winnipeg
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Huatulco still safe (ie., drug cartel issues)?

I get so tired of people asking if its safe to go to Huatulco and its not just you but if people are that concerned about violence maybe they should stay at home.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
676 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Huatulco still safe (ie., drug cartel issues)?

I think safety is a valid question to be asking yourself no matter where you are thinking about going on vacation and especially if you are going somewhere new. Sometimes when we are in a country/place where language, customs and culture are differnet than what we are used to, it's easy to be "thrown" by things that are actually perfectly normal. So the best advice is do your homework by asking questions beforehand and then just relax and enjoy while being aware of your surroundings.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Huatulco still safe (ie., drug cartel issues)?

or read the numerous posts that have already dealt with this

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Huatulco still safe (ie., drug cartel issues)?

Just returned last night. One of the safest places I have ever been. Would return in a heartbeat.

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Huatulco still safe (ie., drug cartel issues)?

When we were there in 09 @ the dreams we had a fabulous time. We did a barhop one night to 3 different bars and had no problems. One guy did stop and ask ( in pitch black darkness) as we were walking to the bar, if I wanted to buy drugs. I politely said no thank you and that was the end of it. I think most of the time when you hear someone was attacked or there was a violent encounter, It is because people from out of country do stupid things.

ie: pick a fight with a local in the bar or just act like an idiot.

try to stiff a drug dealer.

try to pick up a local girl who has a boyfriend there.

and the usual reason behind this : Drunk outta there mind.

Being as it is close to Guatemala the area is also patrolled by the navy there that has a base close by. I think it is the Navy. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Bottom line: be polite and all will be fine. Jamaica was worse for drug selling, I just made it out of the airport and that was the first thing someone asked me. " wanna buy some ganja man?" again, no thank you and everything was fine.

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Huatulco still safe (ie., drug cartel issues)?

The Navy Base is between Playa Santa Cruz and La Entrega. The Navy also runs an excellent Hospital Between IMMS and The Red Cross Hospital.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Huatulco still safe (ie., drug cartel issues)?

Hola.

Last evening we discovered an additional item to fear: too many habaneros in the salsa….be very, very afraid. :)))

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX: Tomorrow’s expected highs: 98 degrees F.

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA: Tomorrow’s expected highs: 35 degrees F.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Huatulco still safe (ie., drug cartel issues)?

Hi, thank you for posting this. I was wondering the same thing about Huatulco..is it still safe? I will be travelling down there in a couple weeks and have had some concerns, but your post put a smile on my face. I will be sure to soak it all in (while drinking plenty of water, of course). I am once again very excited!

Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Huatulco still safe (ie., drug cartel issues)?

In addition to living in Huatulco during the winter months I also reside in Colombia, South America. In Colombia they have a great ad campaign with the slogan "The Only Risk is Wanting to Stay". If it wasn't for the extreme heat and humidity in Huatulco seven months of the year this slogan would befit Huatulco.

That's not to say Huatulco is completely free from violent crime and drugs and to think that would be naive. As one of the previous posters in this thread suggest, "be polite and all will be fine" but if you look for trouble you can easily find it in Huatulco just as easily as you could in any other part of the world.

Off topic comment: For a new experience I highly recommend you check out Colombia for your next vacation adventure. Forget about what you think you know about Colombia. It's an entirely different world than it was in the days of Pablo Escobar and, statistically speaking, it is much safer than Mexico and safer than many major cities in the USA.

Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics