We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Huatulco safe?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Is Huatulco safe?

I heard a program on the radio the other day about the huge increase in drug-related violence in various parts of Mexico. It seems to be more concentrated in the Northern states, but Acapulco and other resorts were also mentioned. The US State Department has issued a Mexico travel advisory. We're due to leave to Huatulco tomorrow night, and I'm just wondering if it has been affected by this increase in violence. Should be be concerned?

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
victoria, bc
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Huatulco safe?

In a nutshell...." No"

victoria
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Huatulco safe?

It is safe as safe can be. The only risk I have experienced is not wanting to leave. I've been 3 times for a total of 5 weeks and can't wait to return.

Williamstown, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Huatulco safe?

There was not a time when I did not feel safe in Huatulco. We walked the streets outside the hotel and were in Santa Cruz and La Crucecita. The people take great pride in their area and the fact that it is so safe and extremenly clean too.

Mentioned in this post
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
Crucecita
Crucecita
Huatulco, Mexico
Huatulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Huatulco safe?

We leave tomorrow after 16 days. No probs. Same in May / June. Same Dec to April. same since 2001.More crime in our home town. As has been posted many times by many contributors, if you look for trouble anywhere in the world, including home, you will find it.

You will find the local folks very honest. Cabs will return items left in the car. Restaurants will keep purses etc on hand that are left behind. We have had one such positive experienceand witnessed many more. There have been many posts by others on this.

Enjoy your visit!

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Huatulco safe?

Oaxaca isn't mentioned in the State Department advisory, so I was under the impression that it hasn't been affected by the recent upswing in violence. But I just wanted to check with people more familiar with the area to be sure.

Mentioned in this post
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,992 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Huatulco safe?

We just got back from a week in Zihuatanjeo which is just north of Acapulco in Guerrero which DOES have warnings about it- and we still felt safe...stayed non-AI and walked about the town every day, no issues at all. We did see truckloads of military around armed to the teeth, but that does not worry us (I would be more worred NOT to see them).

The point is, in comparison, Huatulco is even safer for tourists....so don't worry. Just try to not buy drugs or hang around cartel members or police or military, you'll be fine. ;)

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Huatulco
Huatulco
Oaxaca, Mexico
7. Re: Is Huatulco safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 08, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics