We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Money

I have heard people talking about the use of the Atm machines and travelers cheque, my question is if you back a small amount of Canadian funds does a person get a good exchange rate that way or just leave it in your account and use your Atm card?

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Do you're self a favour take US dollars down and use them small bills 1's 5's 10's and 20's US currency is accepted everywhere and is preffered 10 pesos is 1 US dollar sometimes you can get 10.80 pesos for 1 US dollar at the HSBC you can go to the HSBC in la crucecita they will exchange US dollars for Pesos.

Don't take travellers cheques because you get hit when you get them and then get hit even more when you cash them

You can use you're ATM card if you like but you may incure service charges if you use the wrong ATM machine

Okanagan Valley...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

You can exchange Canadian dollar travellers cheques at the Scotiabank in Santa Cruz without incurring any penalties or fees, and they'll give you the current market exchange rate. Just take your passport with you for ID.

The service charges on the ATM transactions are not very high and there are several ATM machines in La Crucecita, Santa Cruz and near the hotels, and you'll also get a good exchange rate.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

how much would an ATM service charge be?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
651 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

It's a $3 service fee for the ATM.

Calgary
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

I am bringing a small amount of cash and using ATM's.

It seems to work very well.

I would not exchange my CDN to US to PESO because you are going to be paying fees and losing exchange value each time. If possible only change your money once.

When I was in Mexico before and I used ATM's the rate I got there was way better than I could get at money changers, and if you take out enough at once, that $3 hit isn't bad at all.

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

We took Cdn travellers cheques and cashed them as we needed them at the Scotia Bank in Santa Cruz. No hassels as long as you have your passport. One day we got 9.29 pesos to the $Cdn and the next time we got 8.87.

It did not matter how much you cashed at a time, the rate was the same.

alberta
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

Hi,

We just got back from the Gala and found the boutique there actually took Canadian money or you could exchange it at the front desk. Unfortunately the exchange rate was only $1.00 = 8 pesos. We took our ATM card and there was machines all over. There is one right between the Barcelo and Gala (5 min walk) one at the airport and a few in Santa Cruz and La Crucecita. We liked it because when we knew we were going to need money - shopping, eating out or excursions we went and got what we needed and got the best rate and didn' t have a lot of cash lying around to worry about. It cost $ 3.00 each time but we felt it was worth it. Or you could take out as much as you think you need and pay the fee once.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money

so approx 9 pesos to $1 Cnd or 10 pesos tp $1 US sounds about average?

9. Re: Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, August 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics